This Loaded Mashed Cauliflower Casserole is a low carb version of a loaded baked potato – bacon, scallions, and caramelized onions take this over the top
Somehow last week, I ended up with an overload of cauliflower in my fridge, so I’ve been making all sorts of cauliflower dishes, and disguising it as Mashed Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes and this Loaded Cauliflower Casserole that I told my son was mashed potatoes. I know there are folks who don’t believe in hiding vegetables in their kids’ meals, but lately, my youngest son has been resisting vegetables. Somehow, he’s “too full” to eat them.
So, when he asked what I was making the other day, I told him loaded mashed potatoes with bacon and cheese. I knew he’d eat it because he loves bacon. Don’t worry, this recipe uses just two slices of bacon and half a cup of cheese in the entire recipe. The trick is to crumble the crispy bacon up so there’s some in every bite, and to use an aged sharp cheddar cheese that has more flavor. I knew if I topped this Loaded Cauliflower Casserole with caramelized onions, he’d eat it for sure. In fact, he asked for seconds.
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 2 strips antibiotic-free, uncured bacon
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup low-fat organic yogurt
- ½ cup aged sharp cheddar cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Cut cauliflower into florets and steam for about 20 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, brown bacon until crisp; drain and crumble.
- Heat olive oil in small skillet and saute onion until translucent; add garlic and saute util onions are browned.
- Transfer cooked cauliflower to food processor along with yogurt and process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Scrape mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle cheese and paprika on top. Broil until cheese is melted.
- Top casserole with sautéed onions, bacon pieces and chopped scallion.
Today, I’m participating in Food Network’s Sensational Sides event where Cheesy recipes are being featured. Please be sure to check out what my fellow foodie friends made:
The Lemon Bowl: Spelt Salad with Apples, Cheddar and Scallions
Creative Culinary: Cilantro Serrano Rice
Virtually Homemade: Stove Top Mac and Cheese with Apples and Bacon
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Mary Lane’s Pasta With Pesto Tomato Sauce
Red or Green: Cheesy Polenta with Spicy Leeks
The Wimpy Vegetarian: Cheesy Beer Bread with Quinoa, Millet and Jalapeño Peppers
Homemade Delish: Cheesy Zucchini and Summer Squash
Daisy at Home: Bell Pepper Pizza
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Indian Cottage Cheese & Bell Pepper Quick Stir-Fry
Weelicious: Cheesy Turkey Meatballs
Swing Eats: Frico: Parmesan Cheese Crackers (gluten-free)
The Mom 100: Leek, Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quiche
FN Dish: 6 Ways to One-Up Side Dish Favorites with Cheese