This Gluten Free Lemon Zucchini Bread has a nice bright lemony scent.
Now that Spring is in full swing and the weather is warming up, I’m drawn to lighter, brighter flavors, like this Lemon Zucchini Bread. In contrast to the darker, spiced pumpkin breads that I make in the fall and winter, this quick bread smells of Spring to me. The minute I cut into this loaf after it came out of the oven, it released a waft of fresh lemon scent.
My son doesn’t like zucchini, so when I served this to him for breakfast the other morning and he asked what it was, I simply said it had almond extract in it and was lemony. He loves the smell of almond extract because I’ve told him that his favorite pistachio ice cream is really flavored with almond extract, not pistachios, so the mere mention of almond extract got him.
The typical zucchini bread has a pretty good amount of oil in it, so I lightened up my version by using ground flax seeds and low-fat yogurt in place of a good amount of oil. This Gluten-Free Lemon Zucchini Bread is delicious hot out of the oven, but it also keeps well. I enjoyed it toasted a few days later.
Any extra grated zucchini makes delicious Zucchini Fritters.
Gluten-Free Lemon Zucchini Poppy Seed Bread Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 3/4 cup ground golden flax seed
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini 2 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat together oil, eggs, yogurt and sugar. Add ground flax seed, almond flour, oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and almond extract; beat until well combined. Add zucchini, lemon zest and poppy seeds, and mix until combined.
- Pour into one lightly oiled 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Bake one hour or until toothpick comes out clean after being inserted into center of loaf.
- Cool completely; wrap in plastic wrap or foil to store.