This Healthy Bacon Egg Potato Breakfast Casserole is a lightened up version of a traditional Amish breakfast casserole, and is perfect for brunch or dinner; leftovers can be heated up for breakfast. If you’re looking for a hearty holiday breakfast or brunch recipe, give this one a try.
Is it possible to say bacon, potato and casserole in the same sentence and think it’s healthy? Today’s recipe for a Healthy Bacon Egg Potato Casserole is based on a classic Amish country style breakfast classic that’s typically loaded with cheese and made with regular pork bacon.
I’ve taken this basic recipe and packed it with vegetables, lightened it up with low-fat cheese, non-fat cottage cheese and lean turkey bacon. Served on a bed of baby kale, it makes the perfect brunch that’s not only comforting, but healthy too.
My kids love brunch, so I’m always looking for new ideas that will satisfy their hearty appetites. This breakfast casserole would be delicious served with a fresh fruit salad.
I made this for the boys for brunch recently and they loved it. It’s hearty and packed with protein, so your belly will stay full longer. If you have extras, just cut the rest into individual portions for easy reheating.
Healthy Bacon Egg Potato Breakfast Casserole
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped (~ 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper chopped (~ 1 cup)
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 strips uncured antibiotic free turkey bacon chopped
- 1 teaspoon Fines Herbes or other herb blend
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup non-fat cottage cheese pureed in food processor
- 1 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups shredded Yukon gold potatoes
- 9 cups baby kale
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and saute onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, bacon and Fines Herbes until onions are translucent. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, cottage cheese and cheddar cheese. Stir in shredded potatoes. Add sauteed bacon and vegetables. Spoon into lightly greased 9x9 square dish.
- Bake 45 minutes until casserole is firm.
- Serve on bed of baby kale.
If you like this Healthy Bacon Egg Potato Breakfast Casserole, you might also like: