This Crustless Sausage Spinach Mushroom Quiche is hearty and satisfying, perfect for brunch.
Recently, I volunteered to make a quiche for our church’s newscomers’ brunch. I love the idea of a group of people cooking for others as a way to welcome them. Although I would have loved to make a breakfast casserole of some sort, I ended up making this quiche simply because I thought it would be better served at room temperature than the breakfast casserole.
When I spotted this recipe on Cooking Light, I noticed it was “crustless” which I thought meant it was more of a frittata. As it turns out, flour and baking powder are two of the ingredients, which create a sturdier texture to this quiche. I chose Pamela’s Gluten-Free Baking and Pancake Mix in place of flour and baking powder.
Quiches are great foils for adding a variety of vegetables. I think the vegetables actually make a prettier quiche, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that they add extra nutrition to this brunch dish. For the meat lovers, I added some Italian style chicken sausage. After all, real guys do eat quiche ;).
Crustless Sausage Spinach Mushroom Quiche
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces Italian style chicken sausage ~ 1 1/2 links, diced
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese divided
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup fat-free or low-fat cottage cheese processed until smooth in a food processor.
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup gluten-free baking mix with leavening - I used Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and add onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms; saute until vegetables are just soft, about 3 minutes. Season with pepper. Add sausage and saute another 2 minutes; let cool to room temperature.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese in bottom of pie pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together, remaining 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, spinach, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, and eggs. Add gluten-free baking mix and stir until blended. Pour into pie pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until center of quiche comes out clean when a knife is inserted.
Adapted from Cooking Light
If you like this Crustless Sausage Spinach Mushroom Quiche, you might also like: