These Healthy Ramen Noodles make a quick and easy meal for a busy weeknight.
Ramen noodles have come a long way since I was in college. Sure, there are plenty of dried ramen products on the market, but there’s nothing like a bowl of ramen noodle soup made with fresh, whole ingredients, for a hearty and healthy meal.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, one of my college aged boys is living off-campus and is now cooking all his meals. So, I’m posting some easy, healthy recipes here on my blog for him in hopes that he’ll expand his meal options and eat more healthily.
Ramen noodles are a super fast and easy meal in a bowl, and can be a really healthy meal when good, whole ingredients are included, such as leafy green vegetables (e.g., Chinese broccoli, napa cabbage, bok choy, spinach, kale, Swiss chard), carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, tofu, chicken and eggs. Soba noodles are an even healthier option and can often be found in the Asian section of your local grocery store.
For convenience (and less chopping), you can use frozen vegetables or look for prepackaged cut up vegetables in the produce section at your supermarket or Trader Joe’s.
Leftovers can easily be used in ramen noodle soup. I’ve used leftover 15 Minute Spice Rubbed Roasted Salmon and stir-fried vegetables in ramen noodle soup and it’s delicious. There’s no need to reheat leftovers – just put them in the bottom of the serving bowl and pour the hot noodles and broth on top, which will warm everything up. If you made the Easy Pan Roasted Chicken and Vegetables I posted earlier this week, you can use any leftovers in this ramen noodle soup.
One rule of thumb I try to follow for a healthier ramen noodle soup is to make 75% of the toppings vegetables/plant-based, and the remaining 25% lean protein. Also, instead of using the packet that comes with the ramen noodles (which often contain MSG), I use vegetable or chicken broth. I actually sent my son some soba noodles and some fresh ramen noodles as a special treat, hoping he’ll try this healthy, quick and easy meal.
Healthy Ramen Noodles
- 1 bundle soba noodles or 1 pack fresh or dried ramen noodles Lotus Foods and King Soba make gluten-free versions
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups vegetables e.g., Chinese vegetables, kale, spinach, zucchini, broccoli, sugar snap peas, snow peas, mushrooms
- 1/4 block tofu soft, regular or firm, cut up
- 1/2 cup boneless chicken cut into strips
- 1 egg
- low sodium soy sauce
- sesame oil
Cook noodles according to package directions. Remove noodles to serving bowl. In same pot, bring broth to a boil, then add vegetables, tofu and chicken to broth; break egg into pot; cook on medium low for 2-3 minutes, until vegetables are just tender and chicken is cooked through. Pour into bowl over ramen noodles. Drizzle a little soy sauce and sesame oil on top, if desired.