This Garlicky Cheesy Broccoli Gratin is a clean-eating and so much more flavorful version of a classic childhood dish.
I don’t know who invented Broccoli and Cheese Sauce, but I’m sure it had something to do with trying to get kids to eat their vegetables by just covering everyone up with a brightly colored creamy cheesy sauce.
Today, I’m sharing a whole foods version of the cheese sauce that is sometimes made with Cheese Wiz or Velveeta sauce, both of which are highly processed foods. My sauce is not only rich and creamy in texture and flavor, but it tastes a whole lot better. Sauteed onions and garlic, a touch of cayenne and nutmeg, a few spoonfuls of nutritional yeast and a garlicky Gluten-Free Panko Crumbs topping add that little something extra special.
Although I typically serve broccoli, simply steamed drizzled with garlic red pepper infused extra virgin olive oil, this Garlicky Cheesy Broccoli Gratin was a nice change for the kids. In fact, they really liked it. After all, it was creamy and cheesy ~ who could resist.
Today I’m participating in Food Network’s Fall Fest event where Broccoli is being featured. Please be sure to check out what my fellow foodie friends made:
The Lemon Bowl: Roasted Broccoli with Hoisin Dipping Sauce
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Italian Broccoli with Garlic, Chiles and Parmigiano Reggiano
Red or Green: Szechuan Broccoli and Chicken
Virtually Homemade: Roasted Broccoli with Garlic, Parmesan and Lemon
Dishing: Broccoli Soup
Weelicious: Broccoli Salad
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Broccoli and Bell Pepper Soup
The Sensitive Epicure: Pureed Broccoli with Garlic
Domesticate Me: Roasted Broccoli, Chicken and Cheddar Quinoa Bake
Dishin & Dishes: Broccoli Garlic Pancetta Quiche
FN Dish: When Broccoli Meets Cheddar
Garlicky Cheesy Broccoli Gratin
- 4 cups organic broccoli trimmed, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion minced
- 6 garlic cloves minced, divided
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 1 cup low-fat organic milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup finely shredded sharp rBST/rBGH free cheddar cheese reserve a few tablespoons for topping
- 1/4 cup gluten-free panko crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Steam broccoli until just tender, about 6 minutes; remove to a baking dish.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add onion and garlic; saute until onions are softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice flour and whisk for a minute or two; whisk in milk, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg; cook until slightly thickened. Add nutritional yeast and shredded cheese and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Pour cheese mixture over steamed broccoli. Mix together panko crumbs, oregano, reserved cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Sprinkle on top of broccoli and cheese mixture. Broil until top is lightly browned and cheese melts.