This light, gluten-free, low carb Pasta with Asparagus Pancetta and Pine Nuts comes together in just 15 minutes.
I love pasta but at my age, it’s easy to pack on some extra pounds if I eat it too often. So, when I made this Pasta with Asparagus Pancetta and Pine Nuts recently, I swapped out pasta with gluten-free, low-carb tofu shirataki noodles. Visually, these shirataki noodles look just like spaghetti, although their texture is a bit crunchy. They come in 4-ounce packs in the refrigerated section of the supermarket (I got mine from our local Asian grocery store but Whole Foods also sells them). One serving has just 10 calories and 3 grams carbs.
Asparagus has popped up in supermarkets now that it’s Spring so this pasta recipe makes asparagus the star of the show. A little pancetta, crisped and browned, gives this dish some meaty, smoky and salty flavors. Fresh grated parmesan cheese, crunchy toasted pine nuts and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice finish off the dish.
Simple and delicious, this can be served as a side dish, or as a main course (I ate it for my dinner and served it as a side dish for my son).
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces diced uncured antibiotic-free pancetta
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1½" diagonal pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces tofu shirataki noodles, rinsed and drained
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- fresh lemon wedge
- Place olive oil and pancetta in saute pan and cook until pancetta crisps up; use slotted spoon to remove pancetta to a bowl; reserve.
- Add asparagus and garlic to same pan and saute until asparagus is crisp and a little tender, about 3 minutes. Add shirataki noodles and toss until heated through. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Transfer to serving bowls. Sprinkle with cheese, pine nuts and reserved crispy pancetta. Squeeze lemon wedge over pasta. Serve.
Today, I’m participating in Food Network’s Sensational Sides event where Asparagus is being featured. Please be sure to check out what my fellow foodie friends made:
The Lemon Bowl: 20 Asparagus Recipes for Spring
Feed Me Phoebe: White Asparagus with Herby Sabayon Sauce
Dishing with Divya: Mock Guacamole with Asparagus
Dishin & Dishes: Asparagus Spinach Coconut Soup
Creative Culinary: Grilled Asparagus with Garlic and Parmesan
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Low Carb Pasta with Asparagus Pancetta and Pine Nuts
Weelicious: Italian Asparagus Sticks
The Heritage Cook: Asparagus Caprese Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Roasted Asparagus Nicoise
Red or Green: Spicy Roasted Asparagus & Leek Soup
Swing Eats: Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Asparagus with Rosemary
The Cultural Dish: Asparagus Milanese
The Wimpy Vegetarian: Asparagus Carbonara with Garlic Crumbs
Taste with the Eyes: Savory Matzo Brei with Asparagus and Smoked Salmon
The Mom 100: It’s Simple Roasted Asparagus with Shallots and Parmesan
FN Dish: The Asparagus Motto: The Simpler, The Better