This light, gluten-free, low carb Pasta with Asparagus Pancetta and Pine Nuts comes together in just 15 minutes. Asparagus is one of the first signs of Spring that I look forward to. This recipe uses shirataki pasta so you can get your pasta fix even if you’re on a gluten-free or low carb diet.
I love pasta but at my age, it’s easy to pack on some extra pounds if I eat it too often. So, this Pasta with Asparagus Pancetta and Pine Nuts swaps out pasta with gluten-free, low-carb tofu shirataki noodles. Visually, these shirataki noodles look just like spaghetti, although their texture is a bit crunchy. They come in 4-ounce packs in the refrigerated section of the supermarket (I got mine from our local Asian grocery store but many supermarkets carry it now). One serving has just 10 calories and 3 grams carbs.
Asparagus has popped up in supermarkets now that it’s Spring so this pasta recipe makes asparagus the star of the show. A little pancetta, crisped and browned, gives this dish some meaty, smoky and salty flavors. Fresh grated parmesan cheese, crunchy toasted pine nuts and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice finish off the dish.
Simple and delicious, this can be served as a side dish, or as a main course (I ate it for my dinner and served it as a side dish for my son).
Pasta with Asparagus Pancetta and Pine Nuts (Low Carb, Gluten-Free)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces uncured antibiotic-free pancetta diced
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed, cut into 1 1/2" diagonal pieces
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 ounces tofu shirataki noodles rinsed and drained
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- fresh lemon wedge
- Place olive oil and pancetta in saute pan and cook until pancetta crisps up; use slotted spoon to remove pancetta to a bowl; reserve.
- Add asparagus and garlic to same pan and saute until asparagus is crisp and a little tender, about 3 minutes. Add shirataki noodles and toss until heated through. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Transfer to serving bowls. Sprinkle with cheese, pine nuts and reserved crispy pancetta. Squeeze lemon wedge over pasta. Serve.
You might enjoy these asparagus recipes too: