This Tomato Corn Potato Sausage Pesto Frittata is perfect for a hearty breakfast or brunch. Serve with a fresh fruit salad.
This past Saturday, I made this hearty frittata for my family. I had announced the night before that I had an 11:00 appointment so if anyone wanted to breakfast, they’d need to be up by 10:00. Sure enough, the fear of not having anything to eat was enough to get everyone out of bed.
Frittatas are a great way to use up all the bits and pieces in your refrigerator and take advantage of all the summer vegetables that are in season – in this case, I had a jar of Garlic Scape Paste and Kale Mint Basil Pesto, and an ear of leftover cooked corn. I had sampled a Spanish tortilla at the farmer’s market a few weeks ago made with eggs, potato and onion, so I added a potato into this frittata too.
If you have a farmer’s market nearby, I highly recommend visiting and walking around from stand to stand. Choose whatever appeals to you.
Here are some farm fresh vegetables you might like to add to your frittata:
- cherry tomatoes
- summer squash (saute briefly)
- zucchini (saute briefly)
- bell peppers (red, green, purple)
- broccoli (leftover stir-fry broccoli would be nice)
- cauliflower (leftover roasted cauliflower would be great)
- asparagus (leftover roasted asparagus would be perfect)
- kale (saute briefly)
- Swiss chard (saute briefly)
This Tomato Corn Potato Sausage Pesto Frittata is hearty, perfect for brunch, and is a great way to enjoy all the fresh summer produce we’re enjoying right now. Feel free to substitute other fresh vegetables you might find at the farmer’s market.
Tomato Corn Potato Sausage Pesto Frittata Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Scape Paste or substitute 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large Yukon gold potato peeled, sliced thin
- 1 small onion chopped
- 6 nitrate-free chicken breakfast sausage links cut up
- 1 cup cooked corn
- salt and pepper
- 8 eggs
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded pepper jack cheese or cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons Kale Mint Basil Pesto
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat Garlic Scape Pesto in a large non-stick skillet. Place potato, onion and sausage in pan, add 1/2 cup water and cover; cook until potatoes are tender. Add corn and heat through; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs; add tomato and pepper jack cheese. Pour into skillet. Add dollops of Kale Mint Basil Pesto on top. Using a spatula, lift up sides of frittata and tilt skillet to let uncooked eggs slide underneath frittata.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and put skillet under broiler for 2 minutes until top is cooked.
I used Hans' Organic Chicken Breakfast Links
If you like this Tomato Corn Potato Sausage Pesto Frittata, you might also like: