This Summer Vegetable Frittata is perfect for lazy summer days when everyone is sleeping in and you need a hearty late morning meal to feed your family or for a weekend brunch.
We’re a couple of weeks into summer and I feel like we can finally kick back and relax. It feels like it’s taken us a while to get to this point. With school ending in late June (thanks to all the snow days), two graduations, three birthdays, lots of parties to celebrate, and college orientation behind us, our summer vacation didn’t officially start until last week. Phew! I’m looking forward to less activity and more unstructured days, although I have to say the one thing that starts to be a challenge is feeding my brood every day throughout the day. The boys like to sleep in, so as the summer rolls along, I find myself making brunch or a big lunch for them. Recently, I read an article in Cooking Light on raising chickens and spotted a zucchini and red pepper frittata recipe. I didn’t have either zucchini or red pepper, but I had other vegetables I could use.
Hearty meals like this Summer Vegetable Frittata with Corn and Asparagus are perfect for lazy days, not just the weekend. Packed with whatever vegetables you have on hand – in this case, asparagus, leftover corn on the cob, a few links of extra chicken sausage, and dollops of Kale Basil Hazelnut Pesto – it’s a great way to start the day. Use whatever bits and pieces of cheese you have laying around. I found a bit of goat cheese and mozzarella cheese in my fridge, but any kind will do – cheddar or Parmesan would be nice too.
I’m looking forward to reading through my magazines, reading a few good books, and enjoying the last summer before our twins go off to college. What are you doing this summer?
Summer Vegetable Frittata with Corn and Asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cob cooked corn kernels cut off
- 1 cup asparagus cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 antibiotic free chicken sausages I used Bilinkski's Spinach and Garlic Chicken Sausage, sliced
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 1 cup cheese I used a combination of crumbled goat cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- a few dollops of Kale Basil Hazelnut Pesto or other pesto
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in large skillet. Add asparagus, onion, garlic and sausage. Saute 3-4 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cheese and pepper. Pour over vegetable sausage mixture in skillet. Add dollops of pesto on top and press into egg mixture gently. Cook a few minutes until edges are starting to set. Bake for 15-18 minutes until center is set. Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before serving.