Stir-Fry Broccoli and Red Bell Pepper is an quick, easy and healthy side dish that goes with almost any meal. This dish is kid-friendly with its colorful mixture of broccoli and red bell pepper.
I try to make broccoli at least once if not twice a week for my family. Whenever I find a vegetable my boys will eat, I latch onto it – it’s great to be able to expand their vegetable repertoire, and broccoli is so good for them. Did you know that broccoli is packed with vitamins A and C, and is also a good source of fiber and protein?
I still remember the mushy broccoli that our school cafeteria served when I was growing up – it’s no wonder some people have such strong feelings about broccoli. Now, if everyone had the chance to try stir-fried broccoli, I think they might change their mind, especially if it’s as pretty as the dish I made recently.
This Stir-Fry Broccoli and Red Bell Pepper recipe looks like Christmas with little specks of Red Bell Pepper strewn throughout. Stir-frying, along with steaming and roasting, is a healthy way to prepare just about any vegetable. All you need is a stir-fry sauce, and you’re set. Feel free to add other vegetables – mushrooms, thinly sliced carrots, and asparagus would be nice. The most important thing to keep in mind is that you want the vegetables to finish cooking at the same time.
You’ll notice in my recipe below that I cook the broccoli first for a few minutes before adding the red bell pepper. That’s because broccoli is a harder vegetable and needs longer to get tender; chopped red bell pepper cooks in no time.
Easy Stir-Fry Broccoli with Red Bell Pepper
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 slice ginger about the size of a quarter, peeled and minced
- 1 bunch broccoli cut into florets
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped into small pieces
- In a small bowl, mix together Stir-Fry Sauce. Heat wok or large saute pan and add oil. Toss in garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli and stir-fry another minute or two. Add Stir-Fry Sauce and toss well. Cover and let cook 4 minutes; add chopped red bell pepper and cover. Cook another minute or until broccoli is just tender but still a bit crisp.
If you like this Stir-Fry Broccoli and Red Bell Pepper, you might also like: