This Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili with Green Chilies is perfect for a wintry day. Serve it with lots of fixings for extra fun.
We’ve been enjoying some comfort food lately, including this most recent chili recipe for Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili with Green Chilies. With the cleanup from our water pipe burst finally complete, and all the fans and dehumidifiers gone, it is so nice to have the house back to ourselves for a bit before all the reconstruction begins.
Walls and ceilings have to be rebuilt, shelves rebuilt, floors replaced and refinished and carpets ordered. And, lots and lots of closets and cabinets to empty out and clean through.
I’ll be out of a kitchen for a bit of time while the floors get replaced in between my stove and kitchen island, and we might have to move out for a few days when the floors are ready to be refinished, but that won’t be for a while.
There’s always a silver lining when disaster seemingly strikes, and I think that in this case, it’s that we are being forced to sort through and clean out ten years worth of buildup sooner than we would have done on our own. It’s scary how much stuff you can accumulate over the years.
So, back to this White Chicken Chili – I’ve been thinking of making this for a while, but hadn’t gotten around to it for whatever reason. I think I was worried my kids wouldn’t like it simply because it wouldn’t look like the chili they’re used to. White food tends to scream boring and bland. To amp up the flavor in this White Chicken Chili, I did three things:
- Toasted whole cumin and coriander before grinding them
- Used three types of chili peppers – fresh jalapeno, pickled jalapeno, and fire roasted green chilies
- Used leftover Chicken “Carnitas Style” which was braised in onions, garlic and spices
- Served the chili with fun and fresh toppings – diced avocado, chopped scallions, fresh cilantro leaves, Pepper Jack cheese, and baked blue tortilla chips
The chili itself is dairy-free, so choose your toppings according to preferences and dietary needs. My husband is lactose intolerant, so he topped his chili with avocado, scallions and cilantro.
To go along with this chili, I made a batch of gluten-free dairy-free Cornbread and Steamed Broccoli with Toasted Garlic Red Pepper Olive Oil.
I gave a container of this White Chicken Chili with Green Chilies to a friend of mine who’s just finishing up her chemotherapy treatments and she said it was the best chicken chili she’s ever had. I was so glad she enjoyed this nutrient rich chili, packed with goodness.
Today, I’m participating in Food Network’s Comfort Food Feast event where Chicken is being featured. Please be sure to check out what my fellow foodie blogger friends made:
The Heritage Cook: Gluten-Free Fried Chicken Cutlets with Madeira Gravy
Weelicious: Roast Chicken with Caramelized Lemons
Devour: Giada’s Top Chicken Dinners
Taste With The Eyes: Griddled Gochujang Chicken Sandwich, “Kimchi” Slaw and Seaweed Mayo
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Italian Chicken Stew with Olives and Kale
Red or Green?: Oven-Fried Tortilla Chicken Drumsticks
Blue Apron Blog: 5 Not Boring Weeknight Chicken Recipes
Virtually Homemade: Chicken Puttanesca
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Spicy Deep Fried Chicken
Domesticate Me: Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders with Sriracha Honey Mustard (Gluten-Free!)
Dishing with Divya: Couscous with Chicken and Vegetables
In Jennie’s Kitchen: How to Roast a Chicken
FN Dish: Winning Chicken Dinners
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili with Green Chilies
- 3 14.5 ounce cans white beans
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2-1 fresh jalapeno pepper seeds removed, minced
- 4 sliced pickled jalapenos
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cups Chicken Carnitas or roast chicken chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1 4- ounce can fire roasted green chilies
- fresh cilantro leaves
- fresh avocado diced
- scallions chopped
- shredded pepper jack cheese
- Greek yogurt
- crumbled tortilla chips
- fresh lime wedges
- Place one can of beans in food processor and process until smooth. Rinse and drain remaining beans. Place in slow cooker.
- In a small skillet, toast cumin seeds and coriander seeds until fragrant. Transfer to spice grinder (I use an old coffee grinder) and grind until fine.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add jalapeno pepper, pickled jalapeno, bell peppers, onion, celery and garlic and saute until onions and peppers are soft. Add ground cumin, coriander and ancho chili powder and saute another minute. Add to slow cooker, along with chicken broth, chicken and fire roasted green chilies. Cover and cook on high setting for 4 hours. Serve with toppings as desired.
Adapted from Food Network