These Gluten-Free Triple Chocolate Banana Muffins are the perfect treat for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. Shhh…they’re actually on the healthier side.
I’ve got a special treat today ~ super chocolatey Triple Chocolate Banana Muffins. Decadently rich tasting, no one will guess that these muffins are actually on the healthier side. These muffins are perfect for making ahead of time – you can freeze them, then pull out a few the night before you want to serve them. Your family will be in for a treat and you can tell them later (or not) that they really don’t have to feel guilty about eating one of these.
I’m not sure what the difference is between a cupcake and a muffin, other than that cupcakes are eaten for dessert and muffins for breakfast, and that cupcakes usually have frosting swirled on top. Well, I passed these muffins off to the kids as cupcakes one afternoon when they got home from school. Sprinkled with a little powdered sugar, the boys fell for my little trick. 😉
Made with Almond Flour, oat flour and coconut oil, not only are these gluten-free and dairy-free, but they’re rich with healthy nuts, grains and fruit. A touch of coffee adds depth to the chocolate flavor in these muffins, and I made sure to use high quality bittersweet chocolate discs and cocoa powder. I also used dairy-free soy-free chocolate chips which had no lecithin as most chocolate chips do.
Whether you’re looking for a healthy snack or something sweet for breakfast, these Gluten-Free Triple Chocolate Banana Muffins will do the trick.
Today, I’m participating in Food Network’s Comfort Food Feast where Breakfast is being featured. Please be sure to check out what my fellow foodie friends made t his week:
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Broccoli and Goat Cheese Omelet
Feed Me Phoebe: Amaranth Breakfast Porridge with Blueberry Compote
Weelicious: Crispy Orange Stuffed French Toast Sticks
Devour: Bobby’s Breakfast for Dinner Recipes
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Egg Bruschetta with Pesto
Red or Green: Huevos Rancheros
Dishing With Divya: Scrambled Eggs with Spinach and Sweet Toast
Virtually Homemade: Crescent Dough Breakfast Skillet
Taste With The Eyes: Kimchi & Cheddar Omelette
Blue Apron Blog: 7 Breakfast for Dinner Ideas from Around the World
Dishin & Dishes: Shirred Eggs (Baked Eggs)
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Peasant Omelette
Domesticate Me: “Shakshuka” Egg White Frittata with Turkey Sausage
The Sensitive Epicure: “Egg In The Hole” with Sauteed Spinach
The Heritage Cook: Southwest Breakfast Hash
FN Dish: Wake Up to Breakfast
Gluten-Free Triple Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 ounce 60% bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
- 4 ounces ~ 1 1/2 cup sifted almond flour
- 5 ounces ~ 1 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 packet Starbucks VIA coffee
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup organic unrefined coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine coconut oil and bittersweet chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 45 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds until smooth and melted; cool to room temperature.
- Mix almond flour, oat flour, cocoa, cinnamon, coffee powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk together.
- In another bowl, combine bananas, almond milk, vanilla, eggs and melted chocolate. Beat with mixer until blended. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and beat just until mixed through. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter among 12 lined muffin cups. Bake 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in middle of muffin.