Gluten Free Chocolate Cranberry Walnut Cookies are a healthy dessert or snack, sure to please your sweet tooth.
Is there such a thing as a healthy cookie? I don’t know, but I can tell you that the Gluten Free Chocolate Cranberry Walnut Cookies that I’m sharing today are healthier than most. Leaving the healthy talk aside for a second, let me tell you that these cookies are really good, and will satisfy just about any sweet tooth without the guilt. I made these for my kids as an afternoon treat last week and they loved them, and I have to say I didn’t feel half that bad giving them cookies as a snack because I knew they were full of good ingredients.
So, what makes these cookies healthier than most chocolate chip cookies?
- Whole grains + Fiber – These cookies are packed with heart-healthy whole grains. Proportionally, whole grains make up most of the flour/grains in this recipe. I used King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-purpose Flour Mix which is made with both brown and white rice flour, and rolled oats, so these cookies have more fiber than the average cookie.
- Healthy fat + Less fat – This recipe uses just 6 tablespoons of heart healthy olive oil compared to many popular chocolate chip cookie recipes that use up to 2 sticks of butter.
- Less sugar + More flavor – Dried cranberries help add natural sweetness (and fiber) to these cookies, so less sugar is needed than the typical chocolate chip cookie recipe. Also, bittersweet chocolate has about half the sugar of semi-sweet chocolate, but has a more intense chocolate flavor.
- Heart healthy nuts – I added heart healthy walnuts for crunch, added fiber and minerals.
Give these Gluten Free Chocolate Cranberry Walnut Cookies a try and let me know what you think.
Today, Food Network and a group of bloggers is featuring Chocolate Chip Cookies for this week’s Comfort Food Feast event. Please stop by and see what everyone made:
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookie Breakfast Bars
What’s Gaby Cooking: Salted Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Lemon Bowl: Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
From My Corner of Saratoga: Chocolate Chip Cookies
Napa Farmhouse 1885: New Year’s Resolution Chocolate Chip Cookies
Red or Green?: Tao’s Double-Chocolate Chip Cookies
Made By Michelle: The Best Blondies, Ever
Cooking With Elise: Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sweet Life Bike: Dulce de Leche Chocolate Chip Cookies
Virtually Homemade: Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
The Cultural Dish: Chocolate Chip Cookie Goodness
Thursday Night Dinner: Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
Dishin & Dishes: Chocolaty Chocolate Chip Cookies
Daily*Dishin: Chocolate Chip and Candied Bacon Cookies With Pecans
Devour:5 Takes on Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
FN Dish: The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie
Chocolate Cranberry Walnut Cookies
- 2/3 cup gluten-free flour mix
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup packed organic light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Add oil, brown sugar, almond extract and egg. Beat with electric mixer until well blended.
- Add dried cranberries, walnuts and chocolate chips and mix well.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon, form cookies on baking sheet, making sure to leave 2 inches in between the cookies.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool on pan for a few minutes before removing to a cooling rack.