These Gluten-Free Breadcrumb Crusted Spiced Chicken Tenders are sure to please. Spices bump up the flavor in this kid favorite meal.
Now that we only have one son at home, cooking dinner has really changed. I never imagined I would only have to cook for one child. The amount of food we used to go through with the three older boys at home was a ton, not to mention the grocery bills, so we are now at the opposite end of the spectrum, with a pre-teen who eats a sliver of what his older brothers did in high school.
Our youngest is probably the pickiest eater in the family and the moodiest when it comes to meal time. If he doesn’t “feel like” eating something, convincing him that he has to can be a real challenge. So, there are days I want dinner to be a no-brainer – what kid doesn’t like chicken tenders after all.
I still want to make sure my son continues to be exposed to a variety of foods and cuisines, so when I made these chicken tenders recently, I bumped up the spices, using coriander, cumin and Spanish smoked paprika.
This combination of spices was inspired by a fish taco recipe I spotted in Cooking Light that used smoked paprika. My son loves Spanish smoked paprika. He’s not a fan of cooked fish (he does like sushi), so I used chicken. Eventually, I’ll try the same recipe using a mild fish. I’ve found that sometimes it’s easier to introduce my kids to new foods if I keep the flavor profile similar, and switch up the protein.
Served with a quick corn salad (corn mixed with leftover tomato onion salsa ~ chopped tomatoes, onions, red wine vinegar), and a golden kiwi, this was a simple dinner that went down with no complaints. These chicken fingers freeze well too (uncooked).
Gluten-Free Spiced Chicken Tenders Recipe
- 1 pound chicken tenders or skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs I used Aleias gluten-free Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- a few drizzles olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together garlic powder, Spanish smoked paprika, coriander, cumin, black pepper and salt. Mix 2 teaspoons of spice mix with breadcrumbs. Sprinkle a little seasoning on chicken pieces. Dip chicken pieces in egg and then coat with spiced breadcrumbs. Lay in a single layer on baking tray that has been lightly greased with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes; turn pieces over and bake another 5-8 minutes, until cooked through.