Warm up your belly with this Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lentil Chili Soup – it’s hearty and healthy.
Are you surviving the winter so far? I’ll be honest. There have been a few days where I wouldn’t have left the house if it weren’t for our little puppy who’s still in potty training mode.
I’ve been making lots of soup lately, from homemade chicken broth using leftover roasted chicken bones, to heartier soups like this lentil soup I’m sharing today.
I love lentil soup and I love chili, so recently, I made a big pot of this Slow Cooker Vegetarian Lentil Chili Soup to share with a good friend of mine. It’s near impossible to make a small recipe for soup, so I either end up freezing a few containers or giving them to friends.
I find soups are a great way to get my son to eat vegetables too. There are usually a few different veggies tucked into the soups I make, and now that it’s so cold here in Connecticut, he seems to enjoy having a hot bowl of soup at dinnertime.
This lentil soup has chili seasonings so it’s very flavorful and comforting. High in fiber and protein, it will satisfy you while helping you stay on a healthy track. This version is vegan, but you could use chicken broth if you like.
Top it with sliced avocado, a few jalapeno slices if you dare and fresh scallions.
Slow Cooker Lentil Chili Soup
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin
- 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions chopped (~ 1 1/2 cups)
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots chopped (~ 1 cup)
- 1 celery stalk chopped (~ 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper chopped (~ 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 15 ounces organic tomato sauce
- 15 ounces organic diced tomatoes
- 2 cups dried lentils picked through for stones, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- In a small skillet, toast whole cumin and coriander seeds until fragrant; grind in a coffee grinder. Heat oil in large pot. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and bell pepper. Saute until onions are softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add ground cumin and coriander seeds, chili powder, oregano, mustard and cayenne pepper. Saute another minute. Add tomato sauce and chopped tomatoes; season to taste with salt. Transfer mixture to slow cooker and add lentils and broth. Cook on high for 8 hours.