These Thai Beef Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce are perfect for a party.
(This post has been updated to include more photos)
If you’ve ever had chicken satay with peanut sauce, then you know how addictively delicious they are. These Thai Beef Satay Skewers are a nice change from chicken satay and your guests will love them.
Thai Beef Satay Marinade
The marinade for this Thai Beef Satay is the key – fish sauce, sweet soy sauce, fresh cilantro, curry powder, fresh garlic, coconut milk, organic sugar and black pepper.
Marinate the beef overnight if possible, or for at least several hours for best flavor.
Grilling Thai Beef Satay
Soak the bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes before using; otherwise, they might burn off too quickly on the grill. I lay the skewers on an oiled foil-lined baking sheet and just slide the whole foil sheet onto the grill for easy cleanup.
Quite honestly, I wasn’t sure I’d like the combination of beef with the peanut sauce, but I wanted to make something a little different for the party. Chicken satay has become so popular but I don’t think I’ve ever seen beef satay served at a party with peanut sauce.
I’m so glad I made these Thai Beef Satay Skewers for the party because they were all gobbled up. I actually didn’t have enough and should have doubled the recipe at least. As I tried to make my way to the table where all the appetizers were sitting, people along the way started grabbing them from the plate. Just goes to show you have to be quick around here if you want to eat ;).
Thai Beef Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce
Thai Beef Satay
- 1 pound grass-fed skirt steak or flank steak
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro stems and leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons flavorless oil
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or other nut butter
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon organic sugar
To make Thai Beef Satay Skewers
- Slice beef against the grain into thin slices, about 1/4" thick. In a medium bowl, mix together fish sauce, sugar, sweet soy sauce, black pepper, curry powder, garlic, cilantro and coconut milk. Add beef strips and mix well to coat all pieces well; cover and refrigerate overnight. Skewer beef slices and grill on panini grill or on outdoor grill until just cooked through.
To make Peanut Sauce:
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add curry paste and turmeric, and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and stir until thickened.
- Add more water as needed to reach desired consistency. As sauce sits, it will thicken, so you may need to add more water if you reheat it.
- To serve, spoon Peanut Sauce on top of Thai Beef Skewers
For gluten-free version, make your own sweet soy sauce by mixing together equal parts soy sauce and brown sugar and simmering until syrupy.
If you like these Thai Beef Satay Skewers, then you might like these finger foods too: