Thai Chicken Skewer Appetizers with Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce will get rave reviews from your guests. People love food on skewers, especially during parties when everything is standing around chatting.
If you’re looking for something a little different to serve this holiday season, you must try these Thai Chicken Skewer Appetizers with Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce. I made these for the book signing event along with Roasted Shrimp Cocktail and Prosciutto Wrapped Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates, and they were by far one of the favorite appetizers. I got so many compliments for these fun skewers. The marinade is the key – no one could quite put their finger on the ingredients, but they loved the flavor.
These Thai chicken skewer appetizers and dipping sauce can be marinated the day before – in fact, I think marinating the chicken overnight is best for more flavor. All you need to do is throw these on the grill (I used my panini press) right before your guests arrive. Serve on a banana leaf-lined platter for a fun presentation (I bought a pack from the local Asian grocery store). Instead of serving the dipping sauce on the side, I spooned some on top of each skewer. It was easier to serve them that way. Note that the sauce is pretty concentrated in flavor and a little goes a long way, so don’t worry that there doesn’t seem to be enough sauce.
Watch the video to see how easy these Thai chicken skewer appetizers are to make:
Thai Chicken Skewered Appetizer with Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cilantro stems and leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons organic brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 3 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-3/4" strips
- cooking spray
Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/4 cup shallots minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili garlic sauce
Thai Chicken Skewers
- Place cilantro, parsley, brown sugar, white pepper, fish sauce, oyster sauce, and garlic in a large bowl. Add the chicken thigh strips and toss well to make sure all the pieces are coated with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Skewer chicken, discarding marinade. Grill on panini press or outdoor grill until cooked through. Remove to serving platter.
Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce
- Place vinegar, fish sauce and shallots in a small saucepan and simmer 10 minutes. Puree in blender; cool. Stir in lime juice and chili garlic sauce.
- Brush a little Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce on chicken skewers.
Adapted from Cooking Light
If you like these Thai Chicken Skewer Appetizers with Sweet and Spicy Chili Sauce, you might like: