Endive Stuffed with Old Bay Crab Salad is an elegant holiday appetizer that can be assembled last minute.
I’m originally from Maryland so crabs and Old Bay seasoning holds a special place in my heart. These Endive Spears Stuffed With Old Bay Crab Salad are another one of the appetizers I made for our friend’s book signing party recently and they were a huge hit. I wanted to include some vegetables into the appetizer menu without the typical crudite platter. Endive leaves or spears are the perfect vehicle for serving crab salad in little bites while being a healthy choice. Red bell pepper and celery add crunch to the crab salad, and a little mayonnaise binds everything together.
I just love how elegant the endive spears look on the platter. These pictures were taken well before the party when I was testing them out. The final presentation was much prettier, but alas things were so crazy during the party, there was no way I could snap a shot.
When I served these for the party, I placed the stuffed endive leaves randomly on a large platter, with lots of white space in between, then sprinkled some finely chopped red bell pepper and chopped chives on top of the platter which made it look extra festive.
Endive Stuffed with Old Bay Crab Salad
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb mix
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 cup organic mayonnaise
- 1 cup red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery finely diced
- 2 tablespoons scallion finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- lemon juice from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce to taste
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 30 Endive spears ~ 6 whole endive - choose the larger ones
- finely chopped chives
- finely chopped red bell pepper
- Place crab in a large bowl; use your fingers to break crab into pieces.
Add Italian herb mix, Old Bay seasoning, mayonnaise, bell pepper, celery, scallion, celery seed, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, lemon juice and hot sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more hot sauce to your taste. Gently toss ingredients together. Chill until ready to stuff endive spears. Strain any excess liquid.
- Cut ends off whole endive and separate leaves. You will only be able to use the larger leaves. Reserve the smaller pieces for a salad.
- Spoon crab salad onto endive leaf (the flat end).
Adapted from Food.com