This Warm Roasted Brussels Sprout Apple Salad with Blue Cheese and Pecans is a wonderful holiday side dish, popping with color.
Recently, I bought some brussels sprouts and apples with the intention of making my Tangy Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad, but things took a turn in the kitchen on that bone chilling day. I was craving a warm salad, not a cold one. Both use brussels sprouts and apples, but I wound up with a completely different dish.
I actually tossed both the brussels sprouts and apples in a hot oven to roast, then I made a reduced balsamic vinegar honey dressing. Reduced balsamic vinegar is so easy to make and it makes just about any tangy dish seem extra decadent (did you see my Prosciutto Wrapped Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates with Balsamic Vinegar Glaze?).
With the holiday season in full tilt, I topped this warm salad with toasted pecans, pomegranate seeds, and crumbled blue cheese, before drizzling some of the balsamic vinegar glaze on top. I think I ate half of this salad after I finished photographing it. It was so good…sweet, salty, warm, crunchy…just lots going on in every bite. Enjoy!
Today, I’m participating in Food Network’s Fall Fest where Holiday Sides are being featured. Please be sure to see what my fellow foodie friends made today:
Feed Me Phoebe: Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Latkes with Scallions
The Lemon Bowl: Slow Cooker Apple Cranberry Sauce
The Wimpy Vegetarian: Lemon Roasted Fennel with Olives and Breadcrumbs #FallFest
Napa Farmhouse 1885: White Beans, Arugula & Sun Dried Tomatoes
Red or Green: Roasted Cauliflower & Garlic Soup with Chile
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Cheesy Winter Squash Bake
Virtually Homemade: Green Beans with Brown Butter and Almonds
The Cultural Dish: Kartoffelpuffer: German Potato Pancakes
The Mom 100: Baked Squash with Chili and Maple Syrup
Domesticate Me: Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad with Pomegranate and Avocado
Taste with the Eyes: Hanukkah Brisket Tamales with Carrot, Onion, and Jalapeño
FN Dish: 5 Seasonal Sides for Your Holiday Table
- 14 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed, shredded
- 1 apple, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup raspberry balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 ounce crumbled blue cheese (2 T)
- ¼ toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Shred brussels sprouts using slicing disc in food processor or by hand. Place in a bowl with apples and olive oil; toss well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast 15 minutes until just tender.
- Place balsamic vinegar and honey in a shallow saucepan; reduce to ¼ cup.
- To serve, place roasted brussels sprouts and apples on serving platter. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, blue cheese crumbles, and toasted pecans. Drizzle with some of the reduced balsamic vinegar (you will not need to use all of it).