This Slow Cooker Island Pulled Chicken has amazing flavor from all the warm spices, and is great on a bun, in tacos, stuffed inside a sweet potato, or as a topping for nachos.
Did you know that 46 million people in the United States deal with hunger issues, including 12 million children and 7 million seniors? September is Hunger Action Month, a national campaign mobilizing the public to take action on the issue of hunger. So, to help raise awareness on the issue of hunger and help mobilize others, I’m helping to launch the cookbook Where Slow Food and Whole Food Meet: Healthy Slow Cooker Dinners from Our Kitchen to Yours, the brain child of Jennifer from Mother Thyme and Christine from Cook The Story.
Over 30 bloggers teamed up to put together this cookbook, which features healthy affordable slow cooker dinner recipes, including yours truly. You’ll find my recipe for Lentil, Sausage and Kale Stew in the Comfort in a Bowl chapter.
The cookbook is over 100 pages and includes tips for Incorporating Whole Foods into Quick and Easy Slow Cooker Meals, as Slow Cooker Tips for Buy Families, and a chapter on Affordable Cooking in addition to 36 original slow cooker recipes. You’ll find a wide variety of recipes, including Italian recipes, Tex-Mex recipes, comfort foods, and favorite take-out recipes.
Slow Cooker Island Pulled Chicken
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet or hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 bay leaf
- Your favorite barbecue sauce
- chopped fresh cilantro or scallions
- In a small bowl combine onion powder, garlic powder, cloves, ginger, allspice, thyme, dry mustard, salt, paprika, cumin, sugar, black pepper and cayenne. Use fingers to rub spices together to ensure that ginger is dispersed throughout. Rub spice mixture all over chicken thighs.
- Put chicken in the slow cooker. Pour apple cider over chicken and add bay leaf.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Use two forks to shred meat. Skim fat off liquid in slow cooker. Drizzle a few tablespoons of the remaining liquid over the meat and mix to combine.
- Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce, cilantro or scallions.
NOTE: Nutrition Facts do not include BBQ sauce or garnishes.