This Slow Cooker Island Pulled Chicken has amazing flavor from all the warm spices, and is great on a bun, in tacos, stuffed inside a sweet potato, or as a topping for nachos.
Did you know that 46 million people in the United States deal with hunger issues, including 12 million children and 7 million seniors? September is Hunger Action Month, a national campaign mobilizing the public to take action on the issue of hunger. So, to help raise awareness on the issue of hunger and help mobilize others, I’m helping to launch the cookbook Where Slow Food and Whole Food Meet: Healthy Slow Cooker Dinners from Our Kitchen to Yours, the brain child of Jennifer from Mother Thyme and Christine from Cook The Story.
Over 30 bloggers teamed up to put together this cookbook, which features healthy affordable slow cooker dinner recipes, including yours truly. You’ll find my recipe for Lentil, Sausage and Kale Stew in the Comfort in a Bowl chapter.
The cookbook is over 100 pages and includes tips for Incorporating Whole Foods into Quick and Easy Slow Cooker Meals, as Slow Cooker Tips for Buy Families, and a chapter on Affordable Cooking in addition to 36 original slow cooker recipes. You’ll find a wide variety of recipes, including Italian recipes, Tex-Mex recipes, comfort foods, and favorite take-out recipes.
Thanks to our sponsors, San Miguel Produce, Grimmway Farms and Old Oak Farms by RPE Produce who are each contributing food to their local food banks, providing print copies of the cookbook to giveaway AND giving $5 for every print copy of the book that we sell up to $600 (that’s in addition to the proceeds from the book that are already going to the food bank!). PLUS these sponsors, along with Hamilton Beach, have put together some amazing giveaways to help you get excited about this book.
There are 3 GIVEAWAYS:
(1) One person will win a Hamilton Beach Set & Forget Programmable 6 Quart Slow Cooker and a copy of Where Slow Food and Whole Food Meet: Healthy Slow Cooker Dinners from Our Kitchen to Yours. Enter below and visit all the blogger links for extra ways to enter.
(2) One person will win a copy of Where Slow Food and Whole Food Meet: Healthy Slow Cooker Dinners from Our Kitchen to Yours. Enter below and visit all the blogger links for multiple ways to win a copy.
(3) In addition to copies of the books and slow cookers, the co-editors of the book, Christine and Jennifer, are also giving away one prize of free carrots from Grimmway Farms, one prize of free greens for a year from San Miguel and a potato prize pack from Old Oak Farms by RPE Produce including 40 pounds of potatoes and 1 Bamboo Bowl, 1 cutting board, 1 pepper milk, 1 measuring spoon set, 1 recipe booklet, and 1 about potatoes booklet. Visit Cook The Story and Mother Thyme to enter to win these prizes.
To see all the amazing bloggers who participated in this cookbook and to see where you can go to enter again and again to win all of these amazing prizes, visit Jennifer and Christine’s blogs.
To help get the word about hunger and how our book is helping, we’re having a bunch of twitter parties where print copies of the cookbook will be given away with some having extra prizes too. A slow cooker might even appear! Our main twitter party is September 18 at 9PM EST. Follow #slowNwholeCookbook.
We will also be joining Courtney Crozier, a former contestant from The Biggest Lower, for her weekly #justcrunchem twitter parties on September 11th, September 18th and September 25th from 8-9PM EST.
Click HERE to purchase a print copy of Where Slow Food and Whole Food Meet. All proceeds will benefit Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida. In addition, Feeding America food banks from across the country are giving the ebook version as a free gift to their donors. Donate right now and get your free ebook by clicking here.
To learn more about Hunger Action Month, check out this video and current statistics.
Head over to the rest of the participating blogger’s sites for extra chances to win a slow cooker and the cookbook:
Broccoli and Cheese Potato Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
Chicken, Potato and Barley Stew from Magnolia Days
Autumn Apple Chicken Sandwiches from Chocolate & Carrots
Pumpkin, Chicken and Spinach Tortellini Soup from An Edible Mosaic
Thai Coconut Curry Beef and Broccoli from Food Faith Fitness
Chicken Burrito Bowls from Two Healthy Kitchens
Barbacoa Tacos from My Baking Heart
Balsamic Orange Roast Beef from a farmgirl’s dabbles
Cuban Seafood Stew from The Kitchen Prep
Chinese Beef and Broccoli from Very Culinary
Pork Meatballs in Marinara Sauce from Savvy Eats
Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic from Around My Family Table
Tex-Mex Scalloped Potato and Carrot Dinner from Cook the Story
Cuban Black Bean Soup from Food n’ Focus
Macaroni and Cheese With Sugar Snap Peas from Brooklyn Farm Girl
Sweet and Spicy Carnitas from Cravings of a Lunatic
Pork Tenderloin Florentine from All Day I Dream About Food
Thai Pork with Vermicelli Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Mango Chicken from Stetted
Creamy Buffalo Chicken from Mother Thyme
Spiced Lentil Stew from Je suis alimentageuse
Harvest Chili from WonkyWonderful
Whole Tuscan Chicken from The Little Kitchen
Vegetarian Pumpkin White Chili from Kitchen Treaty
Sweet Italian Sausage and Peppers from Sweet Remedy
Chicken Cacciatore from Poet in the Pantry
Lentil, Sausage and Kale Stew from Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Italian Beef Sandwiches from Yummy Healthy Easy
Butternut Squash Vegetarian Chili from Nutmeg Nanny
Disclosure: The giveaway of the two cookbooks is sponsored by San Miguel Produce, Grimmway Farms and Old Oak Farms by RPE Produce. Hamilton Beach generously donated slow cookers for the giveaway to help us make a big splash with the launch of this book.
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 and ½ teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 and ½ teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 and ½ teaspoons thyme
- 1 and ½ teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 and ½ teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet or hot paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 bay leaf
- Your favorite barbecue sauce
- chopped fresh cilantro or scallions
- In a small bowl combine onion powder, garlic powder, cloves, ginger, allspice, thyme, dry mustard, salt, paprika, cumin, sugar, black pepper and cayenne. Use fingers to rub spices together to ensure that ginger is dispersed throughout. Rub spice mixture all over chicken thighs.
- Put chicken in the slow cooker. Pour apple cider over chicken and add bay leaf.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Use two forks to shred meat. Skim fat off liquid in slow cooker. Drizzle a few tablespoons of the remaining liquid over the meat and mix to combine.
- Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce, cilantro or scallions.
NOTE: Nutrition Facts do not include BBQ sauce or garnishes.