Exciting News! I’m starting a monthly e-newsletter that will feature all new content – cooking videos, new recipes (not on my blog), product reviews, a monthly secret ingredient and snappy tips. Don’t miss out – sign up today!
Now that tomato season is coming to an end in the East, I’ve been seeing green tomatoes at the farmer’s market. Ever since reading Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, I’ve been curious about green tomatoes. They’re tart and hard and need to be cooked before eaten. When someone brought their green tomatoes to church one day and left them on a table for takers, I grabbed a bunch and headed home.
This Roasted Green Tomato Avocado Salsa is what came of those green tomatoes. Roasting helped to soften these hard unripe tomatoes and mellow their acidity. I decided to make a similar salsa to Kyle’s Guacamole Salsa using these roasted green tomatoes instead of ripe red tomatoes.
If you like salsa verde made with tomatillos, you’ll like this Green Tomato Salsa – it’s a bit tangy. I really liked the addition of avocado to round out the flavors in this dip. Although the boys said they liked Kyle’s Guacamole Salsa better, they managed to scoop this dip all up. I’m guessing that means this dip wasn’t all that bad ;).
- 3 medium green tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, cut into wide slivers
- 1 onion, peeled, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- a sprinkling of organic sugar
- 2 avocados
- juice from half lime
- dash of salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven (I used my toaster oven) to 350 degrees. Toss tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Spread in a single layer on a baking tray lined with foil or parchment paper. Roast for 30-35 minutes until vegetables are softened. Cool. Chop vegetables into small pieces and place in a medium bowl.
- Smash avocados, lime juice, salt in a mortar. Add to roasted vegetables, along with cumin and cilantro. Mix well.
More Green Tomato Recipes:
Slow Roasted Green Tomatoes, The Perfect Pantry
Oven Fried Green Tomatoes, FatFree Vegan Kitchen
Pickled Green Tomatoes, Andrea Meyers
Green Tomato-Apple Chutney, David Lebovitz
Mushroom and Green Tomato Stir-Fry, eCurry
No Sugar Green Tomato Relish, Farmgirl Fare
Green Tomatoes in Mustard Oil, Love Food Eat
This post has been linked up to Beyond The Peel Keeping It Real Thursdays.