Grilled Ratatouille wrapped in foil is the perfect way to enjoy summer eggplant, tomatoes, onions and peppers. The best part is that there’s almost no cleanup involved.
Our farmer’s market is packed with summer vegetables this time of year and I find myself buying as much as I can carry. Although I get to the market as soon as it opens, parking can be tough to find, so often I park on the street and walk up to the market with my empty bags in hand.
By the time I make my way around the market, my bags are stuffed to the gills and so heavy that I can barely lift my arms. But, I know it’s all worth it.
Our farmer’s market has expanded over the years, and the variety has improved substantially for which I am grateful. In fact, I decided not to join a CSA this summer because I wanted to be able to pick and choose my weekly vegetables. Although I love being part of a CSA, the one I belonged to didn’t grow a wide enough variety for my taste – way too many heads of cabbages and bunches of radishes for me, and very few unique varieties of vegetables. Now, I can spend my dollars on heirloom tomatoes, orange beets, purple peppers, and different varieties of all sorts of vegetables.
This Grilled Ratatouille is especially easy because most of the vegetables are wrapped in foil and put on the grill to do their own cooking. There’s virtually no cleanup involved which makes me a very happy camper ;).
- 1 small eggplant, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 bell peppers, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 vidalia onion or large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 whole tomatoes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt-free Italian herb mix
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- splash of red wine vinegar
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together eggplant, peppers, onion, olive oil herb mix, salt and pepper. Place large piece of aluminum foil (make sure foil extends several inches longer than baking sheet) on baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking spray. Spread vegetables on foil. Cover with another piece of foil, folding bottom foil over top to seal packet. Cut several slits in top of foil pack. Place on grill (I slide the packet onto the grill from the baking sheet). Place tomatoes on top of grill; cover grill; grill tomatoes about 10 minutes, until skin blisters; turn over and grill another 5 minutes; remove from grill. Grill foil wrapped vegetables until tender, about 25 minutes in total.
- Remove skin from grilled tomatoes and chop tomatoes. Toss with grilled vegetables and add a splash of vinegar.