Roast Cumin Chicken with Cilantro Scallion Salsa has made an appearance on our dinner table for the last several years. The Cilantro Scallion Salsa brightens up this dish and comes together quickly.
I first made this chicken dish four years ago when I spotted it in the Sunday New York Times. This is a Puerto Rican inspired recipe, served with rice and beans. I’d forgotten about this recipe until recently when I was scrambling to get dinner on the table quickly.
I always have chicken in my refrigerator, so I can braise, roast or grill it for dinner. By varying the way I prepare it, I can get away with serving chicken almost every day of the week. Jamaican, Asian, Peruvian , and Middle Eastern recipes are just some of the different ways I’ve prepared this inexpensive cut of meat.
This recipe comes together quickly. Chicken pieces are tossed with ground cumin (I roast my own cumin seeds and grind them for better flavor), salt and pepper. Olive oil is drizzled on top, and the chicken is roasted for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, the Cilantro Scallion Salsa can be made.
I made this recently as part of our church’s Angel Meal’s program, for a family who just had a baby, and made some Peruvian Green Chile Sauce (Aji Verde) to go with it in place of Cilantro Scallion Salsa, and it was really good. You can serve this with rice and beans as is traditional with a chicken dish like this, or with a simple green salad.
What’s your go-to recipe on busy weeknights?
Roast Chicken with Cumin and Cilantro Scallion Salsa
- 3 pounds chicken cut up
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin for extra flavor, toast whole cumin seeds and grind in a coffee mill
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Cilantro Scallion Salsa
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 scallion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- juice of a lime
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, and cumin. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Place chicken on parchment paper lined baking tray. Bake 30-35 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- While chicken is roasting, make Cilantro Scallion Salsa by combining cilantro, scallion, garlic, lime juice and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Serve chicken with Cilantro Scallion Salsa.
Adapted from New York Times.
For lower calorie option, use chicken breast on the bone with skin instead of chicken thighs or drumsticks. Remove skin before eating. 180 calories/2 freestyle points/serving.