Homemade Chinese Shrimp Fried Rice is so much better than takeout – you have to try this recipe!
Fried rice is such a common dish in our household that I wouldn’t even think to post a recipe for it on my blog, except for the fact that it’s so good and one of those dishes that everyone should learn how to make. Fried rice is the perfect way to use up all those bits and pieces in your refrigerator and freezer, and sneak in some extra vegetables (or use up all the scraps). One of my husband’s favorite dishes when we eat out is Yang Chow Fried Rice, which is basically fried rice with shrimp and ham. Somehow, when you add shrimp to fried rice, it takes this lowly leftover dish to new heights.
The other night, I was scouring my refrigerator and freezer to see what I could throw together for dinner. It was getting late and I needed to get something on the table quickly (my teenage boys are starving when they walk in the door after sports). This Shrimp Fried Rice came together quickly using leftover steamed brown rice (I make a big batch at the beginning of the week), frozen peas, a sole red bell pepper, a wedge of cabbage, a small amount of frozen shrimp, and a few eggs.
I always start off my fried rice by sauteing a little ginger and garlic – these are my key aromatics. The other trick is the sauce. I learned how to make really good fried rice a few years ago when I started using a combination of flavorings in my sauce – soy sauce, rice wine, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and a dash of sugar. Sure, you can use just soy sauce, but your fried rice won’t taste nearly as good.
I served this Chinese Shrimp Fried Rice for dinner with some pan-fried dumplings (they come frozen and can be found at the supermarket or your local Asian market) and steamed Chinese broccoli with oyster sauce. We call this meal “Chinese takeout” at home.
Chinese Shrimp Fried Rice
- 1 cup medium shrimp peeled
- 1 teaspoon rice wine
- 4 teaspoons olive oil divided
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 slice ginger the size of a quarter, peeled, minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper trimmed, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
Fried Rice Sauce
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon organic sugar
- 1 scallion chopped
- Mix shrimp with rice wine.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok or large skillet. Scramble eggs. Remove.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in the wok; add shrimp and saute until just cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Heat remaining teaspoon of oil in wok; add ginger and garlic and saute until fragrant, about one minute. Add cabbage and saute one minute; add red bell pepper and frozen peas and saute for two minutes. Add cooked rice and toss well until heated through. Return scrambled eggs to wok.
- Stir together Fried Rice Sauce ingredients. Drizzle on top of rice and toss rice well.
- Garnish with chopped scallion and serve.
If you like this Shrimp Fried Rice recipe, you might also like: