Roasted Whole Cauliflower makes a beautiful presentation at the dinner table and is so easy to make. Accompany this dish with Pistachio Herb Sauce for a special touch.
I’ve been wanting to try roasting a whole cauliflower for a while, so when I saw a gorgeous photo of whole roasted cauliflower on the front page of the New York Times Food section, I knew it was time to finally try it.
I have to say, this is one of the easiest ways to prepare cauliflower, and the end result is simply gorgeous and makes a beautiful presentation at the table.
A pan of hot water is placed on the bottom rack of the oven to create some steam, which ensures the cauliflower cooks through nice and tender. Alternatively, you could cook the head of cauliflower briefly in boiling water (I learned this trick from one of the gals working in the kitchen with me at Grace Farms). Either way, the idea is to make sure there is some moisture so the interior of the cauliflower head cooks through.
The green sauce is extra – it’s not really necessary, but if you’re serving guests, it makes a nice addition.
- 1 whole cauliflower, leaves trimmed
- extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup unsalted, roasted pistachios
- 2 anchovy filets (substitute ~ 1 teaspoon soy sauce for vegetarian/vegan version)
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup cilantro, parsley or a combination
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Place cast iron skillet or baking tray in oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut bottom of cauliflower stem so it stands up. Rub with olive oil and season with salt.
- Place pan of hot water on bottom rack of oven. Place cauliflower stem side down in hot cast iron pan. Roast 1 hour or until knife pierces through easily.
- Place pistachios, anchovy filets, and garlic in food processor. Process until almost smooth; add oil through feeder tube and continue to process until smooth. Transfer to bowl and stir in vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
- Break apart cauliflower (you can do this at the table for a more dramatic presentation). Serve with Pistachio Herb Sauce.