I’ve been having some fun with almond crusted French toast recently, and today’s Almond Crusted Cinnamon Apple Cheese French Toast is another concoction that I came up with for breakfast one day.
This is a French toast version of a cheese platter, with almonds, apples, and cheese in sandwich form. Definitely on the more decadent side, this French toast makes for a hearty breakfast or brunch when you’re looking for something a little extra special.
I made this French toast on a panini press, inspired by Kathy Strah’s new Ultimate Panini Cookbook, but you could do this on the stove top. The almond crust adds some nice crunch to contrast with the melted cheese and soft sweet cinnamon apples. I used Sartori Cannella BellaVitano which has a sweet cinnamon flavor which compliments the apples nicely.
Kathy’s creations on Panini Happy convinced me to break down and buy a panini press last summer. I love small appliances, but the idea of acquiring another one that might just sit on my kitchen counter, or end up getting tucked in the back of my closet, kept me from buying a panini press for a while.
I have to say that panini press has made my life and my kids’ lives easier. I actually bought one for my college-age son so he could grill chicken and make panini sandwiches in his off-campus apartment. My high school age kids use it to make themselves a late night snack or dinner when I’m not around.
If you think the panini press is only good for making sandwiches, think again. I’ve grilled chicken, shrimp, quesadillas, burgers and French toast on it.
In fact, I brought it with me to a recent cooking demonstration where I made Spicy Korean Barbecue Chicken Sliders and Spicy Korean Quesadillas on it. Not only was I able to toast the buns on the panini press and cook the sliders and quesadillas on it, but I used it to reheat extra pre-cooked sliders and quesadillas.
Check out my review of Kathy Strah’s Ultimate Panini Cookbook and enter the giveaway to win a copy of her new cookbook.
Today, I’m participating in Food Network’s Fall Fest event where Apples are being featured this week. Be sure to check out what my fellow foodie friends made:
The Lemon Bowl: Whole Grain Pancakes with Warm Apple Topping
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Homemade Apple Breakfast Bars
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Almost Crusted Cinnamon Apple Grilled Cheese
Dishing With Divya: Fresh Apple Salsa
Virtually Homemade: Potato Apple Gratin
Weelicious: Apple Almond Cake
Dishin & Dishes: Kale Waldorf Salad (A Healthy Recipe Redo)
Domesticate Me: Apple Cinnamon Baked Doughnut Holes
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Applesauce with Maple and Cinnamon
Red or Green: Apple and Green Chile Crustless Pie
The Sensitive Epicure: Toaster Oven Cinnamon Apple and Walnut Muffins with Almond Flour and Maple Syrup
And Love It Too: Apple Pie Cookies
Taste With The Eyes: The Culinary Legend of Apple Tarte Tatin
The Heritage Cook: Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
FN Dish: Early Morning Apple Recipes
Almond Crusted Cinnamon Apple Grilled Cheese
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 pieces whole grain gluten-free cinnamon raisin bread
- 2 ounces Sartori Cannella BellaVitano cheese coarsely grated
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ounces sliced raw almonds
- cooking spray
- honey for serving
- In a skillet, cook apple slices with cinnamon and coconut oil until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Spoon apple mixture on two slices of bread. Top with grated cheese. Place slice of bread on top of cheese. You will have two sandwiches.
- In a pie pan, beat egg with milk and vanilla. Place almonds on a plate.
- Dip one side of each of the sandwiches in the egg mixture and place on top of almonds. Gently pressure so almonds stick to sandwich. Dip other side of sandwich and press into almonds on the plate. Carefully spray both sides of sandwiches with cooking spray. Cook on the stove in a pan or on a panini press.
- Serve with honey if desired.
Disclosure: Sartori Cheese sent me some cheese samples to play around with.