Roasted Corn, Avocado and Black Bean Salsa

by Jeanette on June 6, 2011 · 35 Comments
1.5K Flares Twitter 2 Facebook 14 Pin It Share 1.4K Google+ 1 StumbleUpon 3 Email -- Filament.io 1.5K Flares ×

Black Bean Corn Avocado Salsa
Salsas are a favorite during the hot summer months. I always look forward to the first harvest of local corn at our farmer’s market. Although I love corn on the cob, simply cooked in a bit of water and eaten right off the cob, I also saute fresh corn, make corn salad, and use it in fresh salsas. I’ve found that roasting corn adds a nice chewy texture while enhancing the sweetness of the corn.

This salsa, similar to the Fireworks Black Bean Salsa I made last summer when I entered the Top Anti-Cancer Chef Challenge, uses corn and black beans, but is on the savory side. In this salsa recipe, the corn kernels are roasted before combining them with the other vegetables. This results in a more interesting salsa, with sweet chewy nuggets of corn in each bite. I love different textures in my salsa, so to compliment the chewy sweet corn kernels, I added some creamy, savory California avocados.

This Roasted Corn Avocado Black Bean Salsa has become my little guy’s favorite afternoon snack to bring to school. He doesn’t even eat it with chips, just straight up with a spoon. The other day, he came home from school and said “that salsa is the so good, I can’t stop eating it!” Given the high demand for this salsa in my house, I even made some homemade black beans at eleven o’clock one night in a crockpot so I could toss the salsa together in the morning before school. I have to say, the homemade beans made this salsa even better.

I am submitting this recipe to
 Cybele Pascal’s Allergy Friendly Friday Roundup.

Roasted Corn, Avocado and Black Bean Salsa

The roasted corn adds a nice chewy sweetness to this salsa. This salsa would be great as a dip with corn tortilla chips, or as an accompaniment to grilled fish or chicken, or just enjoyed by the spoonful. If you make a large batch of this salsa, chop up and add the avocado just before serving to prevent browning.

Roasted Corn, Avocado and Black Bean Salsa is perfect on its own, or over grilled fish or chicken.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup corn or 1 cob of corn, roasted (frozen corn works in a pinch)
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (or one 15-ounce canned beans, rinsed and drained well
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1 scallion, minced
  • 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1-2 teaspoons fresh jalapeno pepper, minced
  • juice of one lime
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. To roast corn kernels, place corn kernels and 2 teaspoons olive oil in a cast iron pan. Cook on medium heat until corn turns light brown and caramelizes. Alternatively, if using corn on the cob, corn can be roasted on the grill.
  2. Mix all ingredients together.
  3. Chill before serving.
Pan Roasting Corn Brings Out Its Natural Sweetness

More Dip and Salsa Recipes:

Fresh Strawberry Salsa, Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Mango Avocado Red Pepper Salsa, Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Fireworks Black Bean Salsa, Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Warm Roasted Artichoke and Garlic Dip, Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Smoky Black Bean Dip, Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus, Family Fresh Cooking
Avocado Salsa, A Spicy Perspective
Enhanced by Zemanta

Join Aggie’s Kitchen and Real Mom Kitchen and share a family favorite Winter Comfort Food recipe for the Bush’s Beans Recipe Exchange!

Comments

1. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

I make a very similar salsa, and because I like it all year round, I use frozen corn and roast it in the oven to give it added flavor. Not quite as good as fresh summer corn on the cob, but not bad, either!

2. Inside a British Mum's Kitchen says:

Delicious flavors – can't wait to try
    Mary

3. Jeanette says:

I've used fresh and frozen corn for this recipe, and both work great. This salsa is super versatile, great with chips, alone, in a taco, or on grilled fish or chicken.

4. Ayngelina says:

Looks amazing. I am headed back to Canada today and will be on a major detox from meat.

I have a feeling I am going to be going through all your archives for recipes!

5. ohhhh my, i love the idea of putting roasted corn into it!!!! i've been obsessed with avocado lately. had two yesterday hahahah :). this is definitely a bookmarked recipe!

6. Jeanette says:

Thanks Ayngelina and Junia! Safe travels Ayngelina! Junia – avocados have become a staple in my house – just had some on whole grain toast for breakfast!

7. Squash Blossom Babies says:

Yum!!!! This looks wonderful I can't wait to try it!

8. Perfect for summer!

9. Feast on the Cheap says:

this looks so fresh and so delicious. I love that you roasted the corn kernels

10. Hearty, healthy and delicious – my kind of eating! (love the blue hue in the photos…nice touch!)

11. SMITH BITES says:

i'm w/little guy, hold the chips, just gimme a spoon!

12. Susie Bee on Maui says:

I love cumin in these types of salsa, especially with roasted corn.

13. That really looks wonderful. I don't eat corn that often, but I would make an exception for this.

14. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says:

I love that you roasted the corn. I've made something similar, but I think roasting gives it an extra level of flavour. Thanks for the idea!

15. Kathy - Panini Happy says:

This sounds fabulous, Jeanette! I just started pan-roasting corn after having it at a restaurant in Vegas last year and loving it. Now to try making my own black beans. :-)

16. Jeanette says:

I just made another batch of this roasted corn salsa today, and hoping it will last at least a few more days – pan roasting the corn is definitely worth the little bit of extra effort. In fact, I served pan-roasted corn the other night with dinner with just a bit of salt and pepper.

17. Ok this picture says it is officially summer! Great color combination, Jeanette!

18. Ami's Vegetarian Delicacies says:

I love sweet corn, this looks yum, i've never tried black bean, now i'm tempted to use them in salads

19. Kim-Cook It Allergy Free says:

Gorgeous, Jeanette!! I love this salad. My MIL makes one that is very similar and I can literally eat it with a spoon. Your photos look so vibrant, by the way!! ;)

20. This salsa sounds like the perfect appetizer to have at a summer bbq or party! I love all the super fresh flavors!

21. Anonymous says:

this looks beautiful, but I was just wondering if you accidentally left out the requisite lime juice, or whether it is intended to be made without any acidity!

22. Charissa says:

A salsa with vegan protein…just once more way to get my needed protein in! Thanks for the idea!

23. Jeanette says:

Whoops – yes there is lime juice – I corrected the recipe, thank you!

24. Jeanette says:

Charissa – beans are a great source of vegan protein as you know, love them in soups, salads and salsas!

25. YUM! I LOVE corn, black beans, and avocado. You can't go wrong with that combo!

26. Emily Malloy says:

Love me some good ole salsa!

27. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

This salsa looks soooo good. I love how you roasted the corn. :)

28. VegSpinz says:

So lovely and vibrant!

29. Jeanette says:

I'm glad everyone likes this salsa – I've been making it every week and tossing it with quinoa and arugula as a salad, or just serving it straight packed with a spoon for my son's snack at school.

30. Ayngelina says:

I made this last night and people raved about it. It's such a great make ahead recipe.

31. Jeanette says:

Thanks Ayngelina, I just made this salsa for a Father's Day celebration, and everyone loved it. We enjoyed it both as a dip and as a salad. This has become of my summer favorites!

32. Chrissy says:

This looks so good! I make something very similar, but I never thought to add avocado. Good idea!

33. I need to make this now! Better make a double batch because I know I’m going to go through it quick!

34. What a perfect combination for salsa. I love roasted corn and I can’t wait till it’s back in season again so I can throw some on the grill. This is such a fun dip to serve at get togethers, I bet it goes fast!