Football season is in full swing and although our boys are now spread around the country, Sunday afternoons are still devoted to watching football, from dorm rooms to our home. Chicken wings are always a favorite football snack, no matter what kind, from the ever popular Buffalo wings to these Spicy Sweet Baked Chicken Wings.
These wings have a kick to them from cayenne pepper and a little exotic spice from Garam Masala and cumin. Use more cayenne if you like your wings extra spicy. A honey glaze ensures a beautiful mahogany color.
The secret spice in these wings is Garam Masala, an Indian spice blend made typically with turmeric, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, cumin and cardamon.
Spicy Sweet Baked Chicken Wings
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 pounds chicken wings separated
- In a small bowl, mix together honey, oil, salt, pepper, Garam Masala, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin and vinegar. Pour into Ziploc bag and add wings; seal bag and squeeze bag to make sure all chicken pieces are coated with the sauce. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight for best flavor.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees when ready to bake. Line a baking sheet with foil and lay a wire rack on top. Lightly oil rack. Place chicken wings on rack in a single layer. Bake wings for 45-50 minutes until golden brown.
Adapted from American Masala by Suvir Saran.