These Saucy Barbecue Meatballs are sure to be a hit with kids and adults alike. Quick and easy to make, they’re perfect for a busy weeknight meal.
My kids love meatballs and I’m always looking for new ways to serve them. I made barbecue chicken meatballs that were very similar to these a while back, which the kids loved.
This time around, I decided to make a few changes. Instead of pan-frying the meatballs, I roasted them in the oven, making for less cleanup. While the meatballs roasted in the oven, I made a quick barbecue sauce, doubling the herbs from the previous recipe, and using tomato sauce instead of chopped tomatoes.
By the time the meatballs were ready, the sauce was done, and I simply simmered the meatballs in the barbecue sauce for ten minutes, just to get some meaty flavor into the sauce, and for the barbecue sauce to penetrate the meatballs a bit.
Served with some mashed potatoes (mashed cauliflower and potatoes would have been even better) and steamed broccoli, these Saucy Barbecue Meatballs make for the ultimate comfort dinner on a weekday night. My kids are super busy this year, with the twins in their senior year of high school, so dinnertime is a big deal. I go out of my way to make something special as many nights of the week as possible.
After all, this time next year, they’ll be eating college cafeteria food, which is most likely not going to be as good as mom’s home cooking ;).
Saucy Barbecue Meaballs Recipe
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Place barbecue sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat; reduce heat to low and cook while you make the meatballs.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together ground chicken, breadcrumbs, water, oregano, basil, thyme, chili powder, salt and pepper. Form into ~ 16 meatballs. Place on baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes. Transfer meatballs to sauce and cook on low for 10 minutes. Serve.
Adapted from Cooking Light