Pollo Asado is delicious served as a chicken taco for a family-friendly meal. Growing up, the only tacos I knew were the ones made with ground meat filling. Little did I know that the world of tacos includes virtually anything you can stuff into a tortilla. This pollo asado chicken taco filling is a great addition to a taco buffet if you’re entertaining guests with different dietary requests. You can round out the table with chipotle black beans, cilantro lime rice, pico de gallo, and fresh avocado slices or guacamole.
What kid doesn’t like tacos? It’s the perfect excuse to eat with their hands. Tacos have always been a favorite in our house. When I was a kid, the only tacos I knew were the kind made with ground beef and a packet of taco seasoning, served in the hard corn taco shells. Not until I was an adult did I realize that those were not authentically tacos. So, although my kids started out eating the same ground meat tacos I grew up with, I introduced them to more authentic tacos over the years, including the ones they had the other night, filled with Pollo Asado or roast chicken, black beans, salsa, avocado and some hot sauce, wrapped in a soft corn tortilla.
When we were in California a few summers ago, we discovered a few hole-in-the-wall places that served a plate of rice, beans, and Pollo Asado, along with a small container of fresh tomato salsa. This plate quickly became a favorite and we found ourselves returning for more during our stay. Over the years, I’ve made this easy roast chicken dish, but had forgotten about it until I came across it recently on The Pioneer Woman. Although Pollo Asado is delicious and fun to eat taco-style, it is just as good served bowl or plate style. In fact, I packed a container of steamed brown rice, topped with some Pollo Asado, black beans, salsa and chopped avocado for my son the other night so he could eat his dinner in the car. Although I try to get everyone to eat together for dinner, there are some nights that it just doesn’t work. My son loved this warm rice bowl.
This recipe is adapted from Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman. I actually was lucky enough to have met Ree Drummond at Blog Her Food in 2010 in California, just before she got on Food Network and began her new stardom career. Little did I know at that the time what a star she was. She had the most beautiful smile and was so naturally friendly, no pretense about her. I had heard of the Pioneer Woman and read her blog, but hadn’t a clue that she was about to launch her own Food Network show and publish a best-selling cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl, a memoir, Black Heels to Tractor Wheels – A Love Story, and a children’s picture book about her beloved basset hound Charlie. Ree Drummond is a “real” person, she’s funny, she’s comfortable in her own skin, and she’s genuine.
Pollo Asado and a Chicken Taco Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice save fruit
- 1 lemon juiced (save fruit)
- 1 lime juiced (save fruit)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- ground cumin
- 8 whole chicken legs or 16 drumsticks
- Corn tortillas warmed
- Fresh salsa
- Cooked black beans
- Chopped avocado
- Fresh lime wedges
- Hot sauce
To Make Pollo Asado:
- Whisk together oil, orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. Place chicken and juiced fruit pieces in a large plastic bag or bowl. Toss with marinade and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (I mixed mine up in the morning and let it marinade until dinnertime).
- When ready to cook, remove chicken pieces from marinade and sprinkle with ground cumin.
- Grill until done, turning halfway through, about 30 minutes. You can also broil the chicken in your oven.
To Serve Pollo Asado Taco Style:
- Remove chicken from bone and shred.
- Place a little chicken on warm corn tortilla.
- Top with fresh salsa, cooked black beans, chopped avocado, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and some hot sauce.