This College Move-In Checklist will help make sure you have everything you need for your dorm. My youngest son is going to college this Fall, and I’ll officially be an empty nester. I’ve been shopping for everything he’ll need for his college dorm, as well as digging through our house for any extra items he can use.
This is my fourth son going to college, so I’ve got a comprehensive list to share with your college student. Although many items can be purchased once you’re on campus, I find it less stressful to start accumulating what you need ahead of time.
I set aside a space in our house for all the items he’ll need from this college move-in checklist. That way, it’ll be easy to just load up our car when it’s time to drive to college.
This college move-in checklist is organized into the following categories:
- Move-In Day – depending on how dirty your room is, you may want to wash the floor and sanitize the room
- Bed – the most important item on this list is a thick mattress topper to make your college mattress comfortable
- Bathroom/Personal Care – make sure you have a shower tote/caddy to bring your supplies to the bathroom
- Laundry – basic essentials for keep your clothes clean
- Room Needs/Storage – dorm rooms are almost always short on storage space, so these items will make the most of the space you have available
- Office/Desk Supplies – bringing some supplies from home will give you a headstart
- Electronics – extension cords and a power strip are essential to making sure you can plug in where you need
- Kitchen Items – basic essentials for storing and warming up snacks and drinks
- Medicine – when you’re not feeling well, having some basic medicine on hand is important
- Personal Healthy Safety Supplies – keep yourself safe with these essential supplies
- Cleaning Supplies – basic items to keep your room clean
- Snacks – great to have on hand for hunger pangs
- Travel – for weekend trips or trips home
- Decorations/Fun Stuff – customize your room to make it more homey
- Shared Items – items you and your roommate(s) can divvy up and enjoy together
I hope you find this resource helpful!
If you like this college-related post, you might also like: