This Chipotle Black Bean Tomato Corn Avocado Salad can be enjoyed as a dip or salad. It’s perfect for entertaining during warmer months. We’re hosting a celebration in a few weeks, and this salad is going to be on the menu. It’s great for a crowd, and fits right in during grilling season.
This post is sponsored by Peapod
Can I tell you how much I love warmer weather? I love the simplicity of grilling and making salads featuring fresh produce in season. Today, I’m sharing a recipe for a Black Bean Corn Tomato Avocado Salad with Chipotle Dressing that I developed for Peapod, the online grocery delivery service. This salad was inspired by a salad that was served at a catered bridal shower I attended.
Prepping the Chipotle Black Bean Tomato Corn Avocado Salad
First, gather all the salad ingredients ~ black beans, fresh cherry tomatoes, fresh corn, creamy avocado, cilantro and scallions.
Then, prep all the salad ingredients. If you’re using canned black beans, rinse well and drain them. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half, chop the scallions, cube the avocado, cut the corn off the cob (briefly steam or boil first) and mince the cilantro.
Making the Chipotle Dressing
Then, make the Chipotle Dressing. I put everything in the blender to ensure an smooth dressing. This dressing is smoky, spicy and just a little sweet, and compliments the salad ingredients nicely.
Finally, toss everything together, and this salad is ready to serve. You can make this ahead of time if you like – just leave out the avocados until you’re ready to serve, so they don’t turn brown.
Enjoy this Chipotle Black Bean Tomato Corn Avocado Salad as a dip if you like or serve on top of a bed of baby arugula for a complete salad. This is the perfect summer salad to bring to your next barbecue or picnic.
More Summer Side Dish Recipes
Check out these recipes for more summer side dish ideas:
Chipotle Black Bean Tomato Corn Avocado Salad
- 2 cups fresh corn or thawed frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups or 1 15.5 ounce can organic cooked black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups multicolored mini tomatoes cut in half
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro minced
- 2 scallions minced
- 4 cups baby arugula optional
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce seeds removed
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- If using fresh corn, steam or boil corn on the cob for 4 minutes; remove and let cool; cut off corn from cob. If using frozen corn, there is no need to cook it; just thaw and drain it.
- In a large bowl, place black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and cilantro; toss together.
- Make Chipotle Dressing by placing seeded chipotle peppers, garlic, lime juice, red wine vinegar, honey, cumin and oregano in a blender. With blender running, slowly drizzle in olive oil until blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over black bean salad and toss gently.
- Serve on top of a bed of baby arugula, if desired.
Disclosure: This blog post was sponsored by Peapod as part of my participation in their Ambassador program. All thoughts and opinions are my own.