Today, I’m teaching a soup class at our local senior center where we’ll be making this Hearty Chicken Chorizo, Kale, Bean and Farro Soup. It’s definitely on the heartier side, and a great one dish meal for the wintertime. The purpose of the cooking class is to encourage seniors to make healthy meals at home. Often, whether you’re living alone, or are empty nesters, it can be hard to get motivated to cook. However, it’s so much less expensive than buying prepared foods, and you can control exactly what goes into the recipe to suit your tastes.
Inspired by a White Bean Soup with Kale and Chorizo I spotted on Cooking Light, this soup has a Spanish twist using chicken chorizo (I found this at Whole Foods) and smoked paprika. I embellished this soup to make it a one-bowl meal with a lot more vegetables (carrots, mushrooms, and zucchini in addition to the powerhouse kale), and whole grain fiber (farro). Farro is a whole grain that is sometimes hard to find. I bought some quick-cooking farro from Trader Joe’s to test it out, but you can also find it at Italian delis and at Whole Foods. For a gluten-free version, simply substitute brown rice or quinoa for farro. You could easily turn this into an Italian soup with Italian chicken or turkey sausage, oregano and thyme.
Hearty Chicken Chorizo, Kale, Bean and Farro Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 4-ounce links fresh chicken Chorizo sausage (removed from casing)
- 1 carrot peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups or 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup or 1 16 ounce can beans, rinsed and drained (use your favorite)
- 4 cups chopped kale you can use frozen
- 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 4 ounces mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 cup quick cooking farro or regular farro - you will have to cook it longer
- 1 zucchini quartered and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add sausage and saute a few minutes, breaking up the pieces. Add carrots, (mushrooms), onions and garlic. Saute until sausage is cooked through, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, (smoked paprika and farro). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook 15 minutes or until farro is tender (if you use regular farro, it may take 25 minutes).
- Add kale and (zucchini) and continue cooking another 6-7 minutes until kale is just tender.