Is there such a thing as healthy packaged food? Today, I was one of the hosts for Prevention Magazine’s live chat and video stream on this topic, joined by numerous bloggers across the country. I was curious to see what made their list since prepared and packaged foods often mean processed foods.
I was pleasantly surprised by the list of 21 Healthiest Prepared Foods presented by Prevention. All the foods on this list were chosen based on taste and health factors (whole grains, no more than 500 mg sodium per serving, trans fat free, lower in sugar than other options). These foods were also the least processed options they came across. It was pointed out that these packaged foods are meant to supplement , not replace fresh foods you eat you eat daily.
Here’s the list of 21 Healthiest Prepared Foods by Prevention, broken down by meal:
- Ambrosial Venetian Vineyard Granola (organic)
- Chobani Lemon 0% Greek Yogurt
- Country Choice Organic Plain Instant Oatmeal
- Sargento Sliced Reduced Sodium Pepper Jack Cheese
- Applegate Organic Roasted Turkey Breast
- Wild Planet Canned Wild Albacore Tuna
- Tumaro’s New York Deli Style Wraps – Pumpernickel Wraps
- Trader Joe’s Low Sodium Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper
- Annie Chun’s Pad Thai Brown Rice Noodles
- Coleman Natural’s All Natural Gourmet Chicken Meatballs Spinach, Fontina Cheese & Roasted Garlic
- Amy’s Light & Lean Black Bean & Cheese Enchilada
- Lucina Rustic Tomato Basil Sauce
Snacks and Drinks
- Dr. Praeger’s Sweet Potato Littles for Kids
- Laurel Hill Multigrain Chips
- Planters Pistachioss
- Almond Breeze Original Unsweetened Almond Milk
- KIND Bars Pomegranate Blueberry Pistachio
- Numi Organic Tea – Monkey King Jasmine Green Tea
- Apple and Eve Fruitables Juice Boxes
- Barney Butter Almond Butter Snack Packs
- Talenti Argentine Dulce de Leche Gelato
I will definitely be on the lookout for some of these foods as I have never seen some of these items like Ambrosial Venetian Vineyard Granola (organic), and Wild Planet Canned Wild Albacore Tuna.
For more detailed nutritional information on these products, visit Prevention.
By the way, congratulations to Rochelle from Pretend Chef who actively participated in the Live Chat from my site today and won the Grand Prize!!
What a list of foods. I don't eat many packaged and processed foods, but these sound great. I have tried the Applegate deli meats before and they are tasty.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that there are some nice healthy possibilities for times when you need something quick and easy.