|Festive Clementine Avocado Salad|
I came up with this Festive Clementine Avocado Salad recipe as I was thinking about healthy and beautiful side dishes for Thanksgiving. Each ingredient in this elegant salad contributes health benefits as well as flavor and texture.
- Oranges contain significant quantities of phytonutrients, which are believed to inhibit inflammation and interfere with some of the processes necessary for cancer cell growth. Oranges are also a good source of heart healthy nutrients including vitamin C, fiber, folate, and potassium.
- Avocados contain heart-healthy monounsaturated fats (like those found in olive oil), potassium, fiber, folic acid, and vitamin B6, all of which support heart health. Avocados are also a good source of vitamin C and copper, which provide potent antioxidant activity, helping to protect cells from free radical damage. Free radical damage leads to inflammation, and has been linked with greater risk of cancer and heart disease.
|Avocado Oil is a heart healthy oil, rich and fruity at the same time|
- Radicchio provides an antioxidant content rivaling that of blueberries and spinach, according to a study done by a group of scientists in Italy.
|Radicchio is high in antioxidants|
- Walnuts contain a type of omega-3 fatty acid called “ALA” (walnuts are one of the few plant foods that contain ALA), vitamin E and other antioxidants, and have been shown to reduce the growth of breast cancer tumors in lab experiments.
- Figs are an excellent source of fiber, as well as potassium, calcium and iron.
|Figs are high in fiber|
- Pomegranates are an excellent source of antioxidant phytochemicals called polyphenols which help prevent and repair DNA damage that can lead to cancer. They also help keep cholesterol in a form that is less damaging to blood vessels.
|Pomegranate are high in antioxidants|
Festive Clementine Avocado Salad
2 avocados, cut into chunks or sliced
1 cup radicchio, sliced
4 tablespoons walnuts, toasted
4 tablespoons dried figs, chopped
4 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
Drizzle with dressing just before serving. Serves 4.
The World’s Healthiest Foods by George Mateljan
Citrus Fruits: Anticancer Benefits
Best Healthy Foods: Benefit Oranges for Good Health
American Institute for Cancer Research: Inflammation and Cancer
Radicchio Gets and A+ For Antioxidant Activity
American Institute for Cancer Research: Walnuts Slow Growth of Breast Cancer Tumors
American Institute for Cancer Research: Is it true that pomegranate juice can help prevent cancer?
Anti-cancer Ingredients: Oranges, Avocados, Radicchio, Walnuts, Figs, Pomegranate, Green Leafy Vegetables