This 9 Layer Mexican Dip is a crowd pleaser.
Today, we’ve got another Healthy Super Bowl Dip – a 9 Layer Mexican Super Bowl “Quacktastic” Dip (my son loves ducks). Yup 9 layers – you got it! This dip is really easy to make and can be made even easier by purchasing prepared guacamole and using leftover taco meat or chili. Of course, if you’re feeling ambitious, feel free to make your own salsa, guacamole and pickled jalapeno peppers (just cook sliced jalapeno peppers in vinegar for a few minutes). Check out my video on How To Make Guacamole if you want to make your own – it’s really easy.
This is a healthier dip for Super Bowl, with vegetarian refried beans (so no unhealthy fats), a leaner taco meat made with turkey, low-fat shredded cheese, non-fat Greek yogurt, and fresh vegetables (red bell peppers, avocados, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos).
When my son and I sat down the other day to come up with the layers in this dip, I listed out all the possibilities and this is what he came up with:
- Refried Beans (vegetarian)
- Chopped Red Bell Peppers
- Turkey Taco Meat
- Salsa and Fresh Tomatoes
- Shredded Cheese (cheddar or Mexican blend)
- Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
- Pickled Jalapeno Peppers
- Chopped Red Onions and Scallions
This dip is both hot and cold, with the first five ingredients layered, then heated until the cheese is nice and gooey, then topped with creamy guacamole, taco flavored Greek yogurt, spicy pickled jalapeno peppers, and crunchy red onions and scallions.
Remember – choose your dippers wisely. We’ve been enjoying all our dips with Food That Tastes Good Multigrain Tortilla Chips (I bought a huge bag from Costco’s).
We’re hosting our first Google+ Live Cooking Demonstration today at 4PM EST. It’s now on YouTube so take a look to see how easy this dip is to make.
More Super Bowl Dips:
Philly Cheese Steak Dip
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Italian Submarine/Hoagie Dip
Skinny Hot Spinach Dip
Seven Layer Dip
Easy Hot Black Bean Salsa Dip
Roasted Corn, Avocado and Black Bean Salsa
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ pound turkey
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 15-ounce can vegetarian refried beans
- ½ cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup fresh tomatoes, diced, optional
- 1½ cups low-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1½ cups guacamole
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- pickled jalapeno pepper slices, as desired
- ¼ cup chopped red onions
- 1 scallion, minced, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned. Add taco seasoning and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- In a large pie pan or square baking dish, layer refried beans, red bell peppers, turkey taco meat, salsa, tomatoes (if using), and shredded cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and beans and taco meat are heated through, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven. Add a layer of guacamole, yogurt, some jalapeno pepper slices, chopped onions and scallions.
This post has been linked up to Beyond the Peel’s Keep It Real Thursdays.