Here is an easy dinner idea – Chicken Meatballs in Barbeque Sauce, ready in roughly 30 minutes. Lately, I’ve been so busy that getting dinner on the table has been a bit of a challenge. So, anything I can make in less than 45 minutes sounds good to me. I came across this recipe in the latest Cooking Light issue and made a few minor tweaks.
For fun, I had my son help me with a mini photo collage – it’s so much easier using my phone to take pictures than my big camera, so forgive me, but I’d rather get this recipe posted than take step-by-step photos with my “real” camera, hook my camera up to my computer, process the photos, etc, etc. If I did that, you might never see this recipe.
This Barbeque Chicken Meatball recipe is very simple: (1) make the sauce using pantry ingredients; (2) mix, form, and brown the meatballs; (3) combine the sauce and meatballs together and simmer for about minutes.
While the meatballs are cooking, you can toss a salad together or steam some vegetables (try Broccoli with Toasted Garlic Olive Oil). Dinner can be ready in 30 minutes!
Barbeque Chicken Meatballs
- 2 tablespoons honey or dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 pound ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Cooking spray
- Place Barbeque Sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender; process until smooth. Place in a saucepan.
- Combine chicken, breadcrumbs, water, oregano, basil, thyme, chili powder, salt and pepper. Mix well and shape into 16 meatballs (use disposable food safe gloves if you like).
- Heat large skillet and lightly coat large skillet with cooking spray. Place meatballs in skillet in a single layer; cook 2-3 minutes per side, until brown. Meatballs do not have to be cooked through at this point.
- Place meatballs in saucepan with Barbeque Sauce. Cover and simmer over medium low heat for 10-12 minutes until meatballs are done.