Garlicky Cheesy Broccoli Gratin
Nutritional yeast is high in B vitamins and has a natural "cheesy" flavor. It's a great way to add a boost of flavor without the fat and calories of cheese.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 4 cups organic broccoli trimmed, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion minced
- 6 garlic cloves minced, divided
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 1 cup low-fat organic milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 cup finely shredded sharp rBST/rBGH free cheddar cheese reserve a few tablespoons for topping
- 1/4 cup gluten-free panko crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Steam broccoli until just tender, about 6 minutes; remove to a baking dish.
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add onion and garlic; saute until onions are softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice flour and whisk for a minute or two; whisk in milk, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg; cook until slightly thickened. Add nutritional yeast and shredded cheese and whisk until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Pour cheese mixture over steamed broccoli. Mix together panko crumbs, oregano, reserved cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Sprinkle on top of broccoli and cheese mixture. Broil until top is lightly browned and cheese melts.