These Turkey Beef Kofta Kebabs are packed with flavor. Serve in a pita or on top of a salad with tzatziki sauce.
I love trying grilling recipes from all different countries. This summer, I’ve made these Turkey Beef Kofta Kebabs several times already. These little meatballs have tons of flavor, with a variety of warm spices marinating with the ground meat. Kofta is found in South Asian, Middle Eastern, Balkan and Central Asian cuisine.
Kofta Kebab Spices
The first step is to mix the ground meat with the spices, garlic, onion and parsley. Coriander, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne, and ginger are the key spices. Depending on the country, kofta can be made with ground lamb, pork, beef , veal, chicken or a combination of these. I decided to use a combination of ground turkey and grass-fed ground beef. Disposable cooking gloves are my favorite friend when mixing ground meat together, and forming meatballs. It’s a lot less messy.
Forming Kofta Kebabs
Next, form the meat mixture into meatballs. I made meatballs about 1 1/2″ in diameter.
Refrigerate these meatballs, covered, for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, soak bamboo skewers. When ready to grill, skewer the meatballs and flatten them slightly. I lay all the skewered kebabs on an oiled foil-lined baking sheet.
Grilling on a piece of foil means less sticking to the grill and easy cleanup.
My boys love these turkey beef kofta kebabs.
Two Ways To Enjoy Kofta Kebabs
I served these Kofta Kebabs to my kids wrapped in whole wheat pita bread with tzatziki sauce (plain yogurt mixed with minced garlic, onion, chopped mint, salt and pepper), with salad on the side.
I enjoyed my turkey beef kofta kebabs on top of a bed of salad greens with tzatziki sauce.
Turkey Beef Kofta Kebabs
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 pound lean ground grass-fed beef
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Place garlic and salt in a mortar and smash to a pulp with pestle.
- Place ground chicken and beef in a large bowl. Add garlic, onion, parsley, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, cayenne pepper, ginger, and pepper and mix until well blended.
Form into meatballs and place on plate. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile, soak bamboo skewers.
- Skewer meatballs with bamboo skewers and place on oiled foil-lined baking sheet. Shape meatballs into slight oval shapes and flatten slightly. Drizzle a little oil on top of skewers.
Slide entire piece of foil onto grill, and cook kofta kebabs until done (with grill cover down), about 5-6 minutes per side.
Adapted from Allrecipes.com