This Thai Peanut Coconut Curry Chicken will remind you of Satay Chicken with Peanut Sauce. It’s a quick and easy recipe to prepare in ~ 30 minutes. I made a video so you can see exactly how to make this dish.
Thai food intrigues me – the ingredients sounds so tropical and exotic (remember the Grilled Thai Chicken with Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce recipe I posted last week?). Years ago, when I tasted my first Thai curry, I immediately fell in love with the lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaf and spicy chili flavors seeped in a coconut milk based sauce.
Up until that first Thai curry, I thought curries were all generally the same. I’d had Japanese curry, Jamaican curry, Vietnamese curry and Indian curry, and although they do have slightly different flavor profiles, they are cousins, whereas Thai curry bears no semblance to any of these.
Thai curry pastes come in lots of varieties – red, green, yellow, and more. My favorite is red curry paste, but I have some new curry pastes in my pantry that I still need to try.
I’ve been teaching myself how to make a few Thai dishes over the years and today, I’m sharing my most recent addition to our family menu – Thai Peanut Coconut Curry Chicken. This is an easy recipe that can be whipped up in about 30 minutes.
Thai curry pastes are readily available in most Asian grocery stores these days, and although you can certainly make your own curry paste, it is convenient on busy nights to have some ready-made Thai curry paste in your pantry. There’s something about curry and coconut milk that just sings – whether it’s Jamaican curry or Thai curry, this combination works magically.
Here’s a video I made to show you exactly how to make this dish.
More Thai Recipes:
Grilled Thai Chicken with Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
Grilled Salmon with Thai Coconut Curry Sauce
Grilled Thai Coconut Curry Chicken with Peanut Sauce
Stir-Fry Thai Chicken with Basil and Peppers
Three Thai Chili Sauces
Thai Peanut Coconut Curry Chicken (Gai Pad Nam Tua)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 slice ginger peeled and minced, about 2 teaspoons
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 scallions cut into 2" lengths
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts crushed, or 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons organic sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups broccoli florets steamed or blanched for 2 minutes
- Combine the garlic, ginger and red curry paste in a small bowl and rub on chicken pieces. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat wok or large skillet and add oil. Add scallions and saute for 1-2 minutes. Remove and reserve. Add chicken pieces, browning on both sides. You may have to do this in a few batches. Return all chicken pieces to pan and add crushed peanuts, sugar, fish sauce, coconut milk and water. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook on medium-low for 10 minutes. Add broccoli florets and cook until heated through.