This Hearty Fall Harvest Vegetable Chorizo Sausage Soup is nourishing and satisfying, and chockfull of in-season vegetables. Sponsored by A Sweet Life Diabetes Magazine.
It’s definitely that time of year when people start craving hearty soups. Soups are a great way to take advantage of all the fresh produce that’s in season – carrots, celery, cabbage, cauliflower and Swiss chard. I even spotted bell peppers and zucchini at our local farmer’s market this past weekend.
Chorizo sausage adds a little spice and smokiness to this chunky, hearty Fall soup. There’s not a lot of broth in this recipe, so it’s definitely on the heartier side, almost like a stew. You can add more broth if you like, of course.
Today, I’m joining in the World Diabetes Campaign with A Sweet Life Diabetes Magazine to help raise awareness of diabetes. November is Diabetes Awareness Month and a group of bloggers has come together to develop delicious, healthy and low carb recipes (less than 10 g net carbs per serving).
- Nearly 30 million children and adults in the United States have diabetes
- Another 86 million Americans have prediabetes and are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes
- Recent estimates project that as many as one in three American adults will have diabetes in 2050 unless we take steps to stop diabetes
- People with diabetes are nearly twice as likely to be hospitalized for a heart attack or stroke
- Diabetes causes nearly 50% of all cases of kidney failure
- More than half of all amputations in adults occur in people with diabetes
- More than half a million American adults have advanced diabetic retinopathy, greatly increasing their risk for severe vision loss
- About 60-70 percent of people with diabetes have mild to severe forms of nerve damage that could result in pain in the feet or hands, slowed digestion, sexual dysfunction and other nerve problems
The good news is that most cases of diabetes can be treated through a healthy lifestyle, including eating a healthy diet.
Healthy, low carb recipes like this Hearty Fall Harvest Vegetable Chorizo Sausage Soup are diabetic-friendly. Pop over to A Sweet Life for the recipe.
Disclosure: I was compensated by A Sweet Life Diabetes Magazine for my participation in this campaign to raise awareness about diabetes.