|Stir-Fried Garlic Scapes with Five-Spice Pressed Tofu|
This past week, my CSA Box held a larger variety of vegetables than the last three weeks – Green Leaf Lettuce, Red Kale, Rainbow Swiss Chard, Bok Choy, Zucchini, Sugar Snap Peas, Cilantro, Radishes, Kolhrabi, more Garlic Scapes and a Tomato. My immediate reaction was “Yay, more Sugar Snap Peas, some Baby Kale, and Zucchini! But more Garlic Scapes? And what do I do with the Kolhrabi?”
|CSA Box #4: Radishes, Red Kale, Kolhrabi, Green Leaf Lettuce, Bok Choy, Cilantro, Zucchini, Tomato and Sugar Snap Peas|
For dinner tonight, I actually made some more Swiss Chard Garlic Scape Pesto, adding in some of the cilantro from my CSA Box, and tossed this pesto with some hot gluten-free pasta, kalamata olives, fresh tomatoes, and zucchini ribbons with a squeeze of lemon juice. Everyone loved this easy, fresh combination! (sorry, no picture as everyone was hungry tonight!)
|Zucchini Ribbons tossed with Swiss Chard Garlic Scape Cilantro Pesto, sprinkled with lemon juice.|
|The thin “whip” above the garlic scape bulb needs to be trimmed before stir-frying as they are tough.|
Today, I tried stir-frying Garlic Scapes with Red Kale, as well as recreating a dish I have had in the restaurants a few times that I have enjoyed – Stir-Fried Five-Spice Pressed Tofu with peppers and Chinese chives.
|Stir-Fry Garlic Scapes with Red Kale from my CSA Box.|
Five-Spice Pressed Tofu is available in Asian grocery stores, and I have seen pressed tofu at Whole Foods. You can also make your own Homemade Five-Spice Pressed Tofu.
|Five-Spiced Pressed Tofu is readily available in Asian markets, but you can also make your own.|
My husband, who is normally a meat-eater had this twice for dinner – I think that says something! This also happens to be vegan (shhh! don’t tell him – that includes all you dads on the baseball team – I know you’re laughing, but your wives will get you to eat healthy one of these days – believe me, we’ve seen the cholesterol results, and they are good! ;)).
Stir-Fry Garlic Scapes with Pressed Tofu
- 6 Garlic Scapes, cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 Thai bird chili pepper, minced
- 1 piece Five-Spice Pressed Tofu, cut into thin strips
- 1 scallion, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon organic sugar
- Bring a pot of water to boil, and drop in garlic scapes. Cook for one minute, then drain.
- Heat oil in a wok or large saute pan. Add red bell pepper, Thai bird chili pepper, and garlic scapes.
- Stir-fry for one minute, then add pressed tofu and scallions.
- Stir-fry another minute, then add soy sauce, rice wine, sesame oil and sugar. Toss well for another minute and serve.