Crock Pot Jamaican Spiced Chicken Stew is a Caribbean themed chicken recipe, spiced with curry powder, thyme, allspice and red pepper flakes. It’s delicious served with rice and a simple green salad. The slow cooker is great for braising chicken until it is fall-off-the-bone tender. I’ve been making this easy, delicious and healthy recipe for my family for a while, and it is a nice change to our weekly menu.
When my youngest son was a baby, we had a wonderful Jamaican babysitter. She was exceptionally warm and had the biggest smile on her face. Not only was she patient and loving, but she was also a good cook. In fact, she taught me how to make Jamaican porridge for my father-in-law who had Parkinson’s disease and was on a soft food diet, as well as Jamaican Curry Chicken. She even made ackee and saltfish one day, Jamaica’s national dish.
Like so many cuisines that I have been exposed to, I challenged myself to learn how to cook some of the foods from Jamaica. I’ve made Jerk Chicken and Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken, and love the rich, deep flavors. This Crock Pot Jamaican Spiced Chicken Stew is may not be authentically Jamaican, but it has the warm spices that are found in Jamaican cooking. It’s almost a cross between Jamaican Curry Chicken and Jamaican Jerk Chicken, made with spices found in Jamaican cuisine — allspice, thyme, pepper and curry.
Although this recipe is cooked in a slow cooker, the key to deeper flavors is to brown the chicken on the stovetop first. A slight reduction of red wine adds another layer of flavor.
Then, everything is placed in a slow cooker, including chopped tomatoes and cooked black beans.
All you need is some steamed rice and a simple green salad to go along with this Crock Pot Jamaican Spiced Chicken Stew to make a complete comforting meal. For busy nights, I keep this stew warm in the slow cooker, and the rice warm in the rice cooker. The other night, my husband and I had to run to a meeting, so this was the perfect way for the kids to serve themselves dinner when they were hungry.
Watch this video to see how easy this chicken recipe is to make:
Slow Cooker Jamaican Chicken Stew
- 3 pounds chicken parts
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups 15 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- Toss chicken with curry powder, thyme, allspice, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions and garlic and saute until onions are softened, about 3 minutes. Add chicken mixture to skillet and brown on both sides. Add wine and let cook for a few minutes. Add tomatoes and black beans and mix well. Transfer to crock pot and cook in high for 4-5 hours until tender and meat is falling off the bone. Alternatively, you can continue to cook the chicken on the stove top for about 25-30 minutes until chicken is done.
Adapted from Cooking Light.
Substitute skinless chicken breast for a lighter option (298 calories/1 freestyle point per serving)