This Winter Kale Arugula Radicchio Orange Salad will brighten up your menu during the cold months of winter.
Are you surviving the winter? I have to admit February is a brutal month for me. It’s in the thick of winter with single digit frigid temperatures, and no end seems to be in sight. So, this cheery Winter Kale Arugula Radicchio Orange Salad is for all of you who feel the same way.
Recently, I bought a copy of The Flavor Bible by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen A. Page, which makes combining flavors from different ingredients easy.
For example, dates + oranges + pistachios make a great combination. It all makes sense, but having a guide to refer to is a huge time saver.
In this winter salad, bitter flavors from kale, arugula and radicchio are balanced by the sweetness of apples, oranges, grapes, dates and cranberries, as well as the Orange Honey Dressing. Contrasting textures also make a winning combination – crunchy green vegetables, apples, and pistachios; juicy oranges and grapes; chewy dates and cranberries; and creamy goat cheese.
I made this salad with lentil soup for a few girlfriends recently and they thoroughly enjoyed this nourishing meal.
- 4 cups kale, shredded (I used lacinato kale)
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups radicchio, shredded
- 1 apple, chopped
- 2 oranges, segmented (I used cara cara oranges)
- 1 cup grapes, halved
- 6 Medjool dates, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- ¼ cup toasted pistachios
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons crumbled aged goat cheese, optional
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice (I squeezed excess juice from the orange membranes after segmented the oranges)
- 4 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons flax seed oil
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, toss together Kale Arugula Radicchio Orange Salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Orange Honey Dressing ingredients. Drizzle on top of salad and toss lightly.
For more winter salads, you might like these: