Turkey Black Bean Chili and Thai Chicken Corn Chowder are two healthy recipes great for entertaining during cooler weather.
My sister-in-law and her family are visiting over the holidays and planning three meals a day for a crowd over four to five days can be challenging.
Usually, I have an idea of what I’m going to make for each meal (I’m usually pretty organized!), but this year, I was thrown a few curve balls and not only did I scramble to buy gifts for the kids, but I also had no idea what I was going to make for all the meals following Christmas Day.
To top things off, the Northeast is snowed in for at least a day or two, so what else would a cook do, but hunker down in the kitchen and start cooking. I perused my recent roundup of Healthy Hearty Soup, Chowder, Stew and Chowder Recipes, and thought a pot of chili or chowder would be perfect for such a snowy day. Chili and chowder are great for entertaining, or for simple dinners while the kids are home on break since they can be kept warm in a crockpot. Kids and adults alike can help themselves whenever they’re hungry.
Along with some cornbread, a green salad and a few snacks,including fresh fruit,Crab Dip, and Zaatar Meatballs wrapped in tortillas with lettuce and tzatziki sauce, the kids and adults grazed throughout the afternoon and had sort of a smorgasbord.
Here’s the recipe for the Turkey Black Bean Chili and Thai Chicken Corn Chowder that I made, inspired by all the chili and chowder recipes from my roundup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground toasted cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 cups cooked black beans (if using canned beans, rinse and drain well)
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup bean cooking liquid or 1 chicken broth
- Chopped avocado, minced scallions, non-fat Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute.Add ground turkey and cook until browned and cooked through. Add oregano, cumin, chili powder, ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, coriander, and cocoa powder. Stir well and cook until fragrant, about a minute. Add black beans, tomatoes, bean cooking liquid, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour chili into a crockpot and cook on low 6 hours to develop flavors. Alternatively, continue cooking chili on the stovetop on low heat for 1 hour.
- Serve with desired garnishes.
Thai Chicken Corn Chowder
Turkey Black Bean Chili and Thai Chicken Corn Chowder would be great to serve company this fall or winter.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Thai yellow curry paste
- 1 lemongrass stalk, tender parts only, minced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 russet potato, diced
- 2 cups roasted frozen
corn,or regular corn
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 14-ounce light coconut milk
1 quartchicken broth
- 2 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 lime
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and curry paste, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, sweet potato, russet potato, corn, cilantro, coconut milk, chicken broth and chicken.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, covered, until potatoes are tender. Add fish sauce and squeeze juice from lime to soup before serving.