Make a batch of the Best Stir Fry Sauce and you can make a stir fry meal any day of the week easily.
I’ve been trying to come up with easy recipes for one of my boys who’s in college and cooking for himself. I’ve already posted an easy recipe for Pan Roasted Chicken and Vegetables and Healthy Ramen Noodle. This week, I’m shipping him a batch of an extremely versatile stir fry sauce that I’m calling The Best Stir Fry Sauce because it is my go-to combination of Chinese sauces and ingredients when I stir fry. I actually tried finding a good stir fry sauce at our local Asian grocery store, but couldn’t find anything, so I decided to make my own. I’m not sure why I never thought to do this for myself all these years.
Stir frying is a quick and easy, healthy meal, especially if you have ready made stir fry sauce handy. All you need are some vegetables (most supermarkets carry pre-cut stir-fry vegetable mixes if you don’t feel like doing any prepping) and a lean protein. I like to use garlic, ginger and/or scallions as aromatics, but you can use chopped onion too.
Basic Stir Fry Recipe
Here’s the basic formula for an amazing stir-fry that is healthier than takeout and absolutely delicious:
Choose a lean protein:
- Boneless chicken breast or thighs (cut into strips)
- Pressed tofu (sliced)
- Shelled shrimp
- Flank steak (cut into thin slices against the grain)
Choose a variety of fresh vegetables:
- Broccoli florets
- Cauliflower florets
- Red bell peppers (cut into strips)
- Sugar snap peas
- Snow peas
- Mushrooms (sliced)
- Carrots (sliced)
- Asparagus (cut into 1 1/2″ pieces)
- Bok Choy (cut into bite size pieces)
Choose one or more aromatics:
- Minced garlic
- Minced ginger
- Chopped scallions or chopped onions
Stir-Fry Method (serves 3-4 people, depending on how hungry you are):
- Marinate 1 pound of lean protein with 2 tablespoons Stir Fry Sauce; let sit 10-15 minutes or overnight
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet or wok
- Add aromatics (1 teaspoon garlic, 1 teaspoon ginger, and/or 2 tablespoons chopped scallions/onions) and stir fry 10-15 seconds, until fragrant
- Add 6 cups of vegetables (cut into bite size pieces, if necessary), season with a little salt and stir fry 2-3 minutes, until crisp-tender; transfer to serving bowl
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in same skillet; add marinated protein to skillet and stir fry 3-4 minutes, tossing protein around to cook all sides (pressed tofu is pre-cooked, so if you use this, it only needs to be heated through)
- Add 1 tablespoon of Stir Fry Sauce along with cooked vegetables and 1/4 cup water, and toss well
Note: If you’re cooking for one person, simply halve or quarter the above recipe.
The Best Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 cup gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup rice wine or sherry
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl or blend in a blender. Store in refrigerator.
This sauce should keep for several months in the refrigerator.