Cozy up with this chunky, hearty one pot Slow Cooker Chicken Vegetable Stew. Learn what vegetables, herbs and spices go well in chicken stew, and how to make a healthy chicken stew.
I love this time of year with all the leaves turning their glorious autumn colors. As the weather turns cooler, cozy meals like this Slow Cooker Smoky Chicken Vegetable Stew scented with warm herbs … (rosemary, thyme and sage in this case) start to appear on our menu.
Slow cooked meals free me up to run errands and take care of household chores. Almost anything cooking away slowly in the kitchen makes it smell amazing and cozy.
Something I’ve been doing more of lately is repurposing sauces from other meals and turning them into new dishes. To this stew, I added some of the Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce I made the other day and a touch of Spanish smoked paprika. Sauces from leftover meals can often be used as braising liquids or even used in soups. So, don’t throw away the delicious leftover sauces you create.
What Vegetables Go Well In Chicken Stew
Root vegetables are wonderful for slow cooked stews. Here, I’ve used simply potatoes and carrots from the farmer’s market, but you can add butternut squash/winter squash, sweet potatoes/yams, turnips, rutabaga or parsnips if you like. Mushrooms and tomatoes would also be nice, adding extra umami flavors.
What Seasoning and Spices Go In Chicken Stew
Choose a global theme and use herb and spice blends that match the flavor profile.
- Mediterranean – rosemary, thyme and sage, Herbs de Provence, Fines Herbes, Italian seasoning mix
- Indian – curry powder, garam masala, cilantro (add at the end)
- Thai – red, yellow or green curry paste, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice (add at the end)
- Chinese – five spice powder, dried shitake mushrooms (and their soaking liquid), garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil
- Middle Eastern – cumin, coriander, allspice, cardamon, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg (or try baharat, a Middle Eastern spice blend)
- Caribbean – allspice, ginger, thyme, cayenne, thyme
- Cajun – Cajun seasoning, onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, tomatoes
What Makes A Healthy Chicken Stew?
What makes this chicken vegetable stew healthy? I use skinless, boneless chicken, only one tablespoon of olive oil, low sodium broth and lots of vegetables. You can serve this slow cooker Chicken Vegetable Stew on its own, or with some crusty whole grain bread. If you like a thicker gravy, use a little mixture of cornstarch and cold water, and stir in at the end.
Slow Cooker Chicken Vegetable Stew
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast or thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 carrots coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks coarsely chopped
- 1 10- ounce package mushrooms finely chopped (I used the food processor)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 potatoes cut up
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 3 leaves fresh sage
- 1 small fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 1/2 cups Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce or Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
Season chicken with paprika, salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet. Place chicken in pan and brown on both sides. Remove to slow cooker. Add onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms to pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are fragrant and any liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Scoop into slow cooker. Add potatoes, herbs, Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce, and chicken broth to slow cooker and toss everything gently. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
You can substitute 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes for the Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce if you like. If you do, add a few chopped garlic cloves to the vegetables when sauteing.
Today, I’m participating in Food Network’s Fall Fest where Slow Cooker recipes are being featured. Please be sure to check out what my fellow foodie friends made:
Feed Me Phoebe: Moroccan Lamb Chili with Chickpeas, Sweet Potatoes and Kale
The Lemon Bowl: Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetables with Cinnamon and Garlic
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Slow Cooker Cassoulet
Devour: Slow-Cooked Meals from Breakfast through Dessert
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Slow-Cooker New Mexican Vegetable Chowder
Red or Green: Slow Cooker Red Beans, Vegetables & Rice
The Cultural Dish: Slow-Cooker Beef Stew
Domesticate Me: Slow Cooker Apple Pie Oatmeal (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
Taste with the Eyes: Elegant Braised Leeks
FN Dish: 6 Desserts to Cook Low and Slow