Cozy up with this chunky, hearty Slow Cooker Chicken Vegetable Stew with Rosemary, Thyme and Sage. This stew will make your kitchen smell amazing!
I love this time of year with all the leaves turning their glorious autumn colors. As the weather turns cooler, cozy meals like this Slow Cooker Smoky Chicken Vegetable Stew with warm herbs … rosemary, thyme and sage … start to appear on our menu. I made this stew last Sunday afternoon while my family watched football – it freed me up to do the laundry and take care of other household chores. That’s one reason I love my slow cooker. Another is that almost anything cooking away slowly in the kitchen makes it smell amazing and so cozy.
Something I’ve been doing more of lately is repurposing sauces from other meals and turning them into new dishes. To this stew, I added some of the Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce I made the other day and a touch of Spanish smoked paprika. Sauces from leftover meals can often be used as braising liquids or even used in soups. So, don’t throw away the delicious leftover sauces you create.
This time of year, more root vegetables make their way into soups and stews. Here, I’ve used simply potatoes and carrots from the farmer’s market, but you can add butternut squash, sweet potatoes, turnips or parsnips if you like. A little sprinkle of parsley is all that’s needed to brighten up this dish before serving.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast or thighs
- ½ teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 10-ounce package mushrooms, finely chopped (I used the food processor)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 potatoes, cut up
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 1 small fresh rosemary sprig
- 1½ cups Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce or Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Season chicken with paprika, salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet. Place chicken in pan and brown on both sides. Remove to slow cooker. Add onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms to pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are fragrant and any liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Scoop into slow cooker. Add potatoes, herbs, Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce, and chicken broth to slow cooker and toss everything gently. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
Today, I’m participating in Food Network’s Fall Fest where Slow Cooker recipes are being featured. Please be sure to check out what my fellow foodie friends made:
Feed Me Phoebe: Moroccan Lamb Chili with Chickpeas, Sweet Potatoes and Kale
The Lemon Bowl: Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetables with Cinnamon and Garlic
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Slow Cooker Cassoulet
Devour: Slow-Cooked Meals from Breakfast through Dessert
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Slow-Cooker New Mexican Vegetable Chowder
Red or Green: Slow Cooker Red Beans, Vegetables & Rice
The Cultural Dish: Slow-Cooker Beef Stew
Domesticate Me: Slow Cooker Apple Pie Oatmeal (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
Taste with the Eyes: Elegant Braised Leeks
FN Dish: 6 Desserts to Cook Low and Slow