The chicken filling in these Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga Tacos is so juicy and tender. Delicious as a taco filling, in burrito bowls and more.
Don’t you just love that name ~ Chicken Tinga? Recently, I visited a local farmer’s market where a stand was selling tacos, including one filled with Chicken Tinga. I was instantly intrigued by the name and asked the vendor what was in the chicken. He rattled off onions, peppers, tomatoes as ingredients. The meat was tender and juicy, and came from a pot of thick red sauce.
When I got home that day, I googled Chicken Tinga and found a few recipes as well as a recipe for another chicken filling I’ve had at a local restaurant, Valencia Luncheria, in their Carlo Arepa. Both chicken fillings shared some common elements, so I took what I liked from each recipe and combined it into my own version of Chicken Tinga, made in a slow cooker.
Give these Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga Tacos a try. This chicken would be delicious not just for tacos, but in burrito bowls, enchiladas, on top of nachos, inside empanadas, and more.
The sauce is so good – don’t throw it out. Use it in this turkey pumpkin chili recipe.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga Tacos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 large tomatillo husk removed, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 28 ounces fire-roasted crushed tomatoes I used Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped + 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- sea salt to taste
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- taco shells
- fresh salsa
- Greek yogurt
- shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, green and red peppers, tomatillo and garlic. Saute until vegetable are soft, about 10-15 minutes, adding a little water if necessary to prevent sticking and burning in pan. Add tomatoes, chipotle peppers, oregano, cumin and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to cook another 5 minutes. Place vegetables in food processor and process until just smooth. Season to taste with a little salt. Pour sauce into slow cooker. Gently place chicken thighs in slow cooker, covering pieces with sauce. Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve with tacos and your favorite toppings.
NOTE: Nutrition Facts are for chicken only.