Enjoy this Skinny Queso Cheese Guacamole Dip without guilt for Game Day. Sponsored by Peapod.
Our family is full of football fans. In fact, we drove 24 hours round trip last weekend just to see the University of Michigan vs. Ohio State football game. Although Michigan lost, the school spirit was incredible, with over 100,000 people at the game. There was a Michigan fan in front of us who stood up every time Ohio State had the ball, flailing his arms in the air and screaming for everyone to make tons of noise.
I developed this recipe for Skinny Queso Cheese Guacamole Dip for Peapod recently. My goal was to come up with a lightened up version of a favorite game day dip, a healthier version of the florescent orange dip you find at concession stands.
My version of Queso Cheese Dip is made with real cheese, not shelf-stable cheese (with preservatives and additives). Lightened up with chicken broth and cashew milk (you can use low-fat milk if you like), it’s a healthy spin on a tailgating classic.
This dip combines two favorite football dips into one – warm Queso Cheese Dip and cool Guacamole. My boys came up with this idea. I have to admit I was skeptical about the combination, but it is absolutely delicious.
Healthy dippers like carrots, celery and bell pepper strips make a welcome addition to just chips. Peapod offers a wide selection of fresh produce, including organic options, that would make great dippers (e.g., carrots, celery, bell peppers, grape tomatoes, broccoli, zucchini).
For more tailgating recipes for game day, check out these recipes on From The Pod:
Spicy Baked Chicken Tenders with Secret Sauce (gluten-free)
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings
Tomato Feta Dip
Grilled Peach and Cherry Tomato Quesadillas
Grilled Pitas with White Bean Spread and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili with Blue Cheese Sour Cream
Slow Cooker Chili Casserole
Slow Cooker Italian Beef Subs
Slow Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1¼ cup unsweetened cashew milk or low-fat milk
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 4 ounces diced fire roasted green chilies
- 4 pickled jalapeno pepper slices, minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 avocados
- 3 wedges fresh lime
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh tomato, chopped
- scallion, chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan; add onion and garlic and sauté until onions are softened, but do not let brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add chicken broth, cashew milk, tomato, green chilies and jalapeno peppers; bring to a simmer, then let cook 10 minutes, covered.
- Meanwhile, toss together shredded cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese and cornstarch. Gradually add cheese mixture to liquid mixture in saucepan, stirring well until cheese is melted; turn off heat.
- Mash avocado; add lime juice and salt and mix well; spread on bottom of serving platter.
- Spoon Queso Cheese on top.
- Garnish with tomatoes, scallion, and cilantro, if desired.
- Serve with carrot sticks, celery sticks, and assorted bell pepper strips.
Disclosure: This blog post was sponsored by Peapod as part of my participation in their Ambassador program. All thoughts and opinions are my own.